First egg TODAY!!!

so excited for you! I'm a first time chickener and our babies just started laying this week - I can't bear to leave the house! we go out to eat and as soon as we get near home I ask my hubbie if he'll drive me out to the coop to check, lol. God is so good: on the day we discovered our neighbors dog had killed 4 of our hens, we also discovered our first egg - He doesn't take away without giving back more! we've had 4 eggs since Sunday, and that's just the ones we've found: unfortunately, the hens found an escape route from our fenced lot into the woods behind us and we can't get a new fence up til Labor day.

soo...what did your egg weigh? or am I the only one nuts enough to put her's on a food scale...

well congrats!
thumbsup.gif
i was so eggs-ited when i got my first egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
welcome-byc.gif
thumbsup.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Lizzie is a 19 week old BR. She's the smallest of our six hens. I didn't weigh the egg, *but* did put it in a carton beside a store bought egg.

94595_lizzie_egg_and_storebought.jpg

It looks like a bantam egg, it's so small! But it sure was tasty!

Two of our other girls are already doing the squat, and our silly rooster has yet to crow once. He hasn't even tried. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that everyone thought he was a girl for the longest time. If I were a rooster named "Madge", maybe I wouldn't crow either!

barnie.gif
. Ahbbb crud! !!:e Came home tonight just after 6 pm tonight, and one of the girl layer a egg on the ground near the door and it was already broken. The shell was really soft still so they just had it. One of the chickens was looking at it so I hope she didn't get a taste, then I will have even more arrgs.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif

I'm worried about the egg-eating thing too: Roofus just seems way too interested in the nest boxes. I've even found him in one growling, and I doubt that has anything to do with fatherly-over-protectiveness. At the time I just assumed he'd gotten tired of being harassed by the other roosters, guineas, and turkeys, but who knows, maybe he was protecting his lunch?

thats funny I have a blue copper marans roo that will be 8 weeks tomorrow and he's already letting out the
funniest pathedic crow I ever heard
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom