First egg, unknown hen and unexpected color

TX Chick Noob

DH says I'm obsessed with my chickens 😂
Premium Feather Member
Someone laid their first egg yesterday or today. I almost didn't spot it, because it was on the concrete "curb" we poured under the feeders and had rolled under a 2x4 rail that is part of the coop frame.

I don't know who laid it, camera doesn't cover that section and none of the pullets who haven't started laying yet are "supposed" to lay an egg this color. Of course with these types of hybrids I know there is always a slight chance of a white/tan/brown egg.

It is a very pretty cream/pearl color with heavy calcium deposits.

35659C0D-1358-4F5F-89FB-334CF4B246A0.jpeg

AEDEB2A1-1484-4AE3-BFA5-FE07D4C9A884.jpeg

Anyone want to bet on who laid it? Here are the four suspects:

Jasmine, but her pelvis bones are only just over an inch. Expect her to lay blue/bluish-green.
39CD5684-3DBF-4AE7-B888-D7D36349CBB0.jpeg

Coco, pelvic bones at 1.75. She is the one we have no clue what color she will lay but is supposed to be blue or green. She looks similar to the next two but she isn't crested like they are.
566634D1-50BC-4B07-9BB5-2F7F037667AB.jpeg

Scarlett. Pelvic bones 1.75. she is one of three "triplets" that look almost identical, and one of them is already laying olive eggs.
85676390-1C93-4521-BF39-BFB2A579F6AD.jpeg

Ruby. Pelvic bones 1.75. she is one of three "triplets" that look almost identical, and one of them is already laying olive eggs.
EA85E063-DFE6-472D-9261-272487D8DB74.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I know it is just a really light brown. And could even be a temporary "paint booth" glitch of a new layer. It was just unexpected and very pretty.

My husband keeps teasing me that all the others will lay brown. That I will only have one laying green and no blue. 😂

Anyone want to bet on who laid it? Here are the four suspects:

I'm betting on this one:
Scarlett. Pelvic bones 1.75. she is one of three "triplets" that look almost identical, and one of them is already laying olive eggs.
View attachment 3244725

My reason: her comb & wattles are the biggest & reddest.
(I recognize it's not fair to compare the size of a pea comb with single, but I wouldn't choose Jasmine anyway because her comb is not very red, and her pelvic bones are closer together.)

I'm betting on this one:

My reason: her comb & wattles are the biggest & reddest.
(I recognize it's not fair to compare the size of a pea comb with single, but I wouldn't choose Jasmine anyway because her comb is not very red, and her pelvic bones are closer together.)
The funny thing about Scarlett is she was the FIRST of my pullets to develop a big red comb and wattles. Over a month ago. But was one of the last 4 to have her pelvic bones start spreading. But she is definitely a possibility.

The funny thing about Scarlett is she was the FIRST of my pullets to develop a big red comb and wattles. Over a month ago. But was one of the last 4 to have her pelvic bones start spreading. But she is definitely a possibility.

In that case, I'm less sure. But I suppose you will figure it out eventually :)

In that case, I'm less sure. But I suppose you will figure it out eventually :)
Well you won the (nonexistent) prize. Lol

Figured out yesterday it was Scarlett, because Ruby laid her fist egg and it was a beautiful minty green. Scarlett is still laying them on the floor of the coop, even though she sits in the nest box for awhile first. :rolleyes::confused:

Back
Top Bottom