First egg vs. 3rd egg

Okay, for sure our first layer is Jill the Delaware! I was lucky to be near an open window and hear "buk-buk-buk-Buh-CACK!" repeatedly from the back yard around 10:45, peeked out to see Jill appear in the coop pop-door sounding off, then go back inside where she continued her song. Everyone else was outside (they never go into the coop during the day, just to roost at dusk) and Jill's pal Pauline was on the perch over the coop ramp watching the pop-door's opening and clucking her encouragement/excitement. Jill was inside for another ~25 minutes before emerging to stand at the top of the ramp and shout her song over & over (so assuming that's when she actually laid). The others came milling around and clucking excitedly while she "sang". Well done, Miss Delaware!

My smallest chicken has become our first layer of our flock. We’ve had these gals since March and she has given me 3 eggs since august 14th. I thought it was fun seeing her first smaller egg versus her egg I got from her today. 😁 we had a second gal lay today for the first time, but our littlest is winning the egg race.
How long did it take your he. To lay big eggs ?? Mine are ok size but my hens are huge

The mystery about my new layers is solved! I know at least one of the Calico Princesses is the culprit. I caught Lucille (named for Ms. Ball) in the nest box. Minutes later, she hopped out and I snagged her still-warm egg.

Her egg is nearly as big as those by some of the older girls in other coops. Now, the other five pullets need to start showing me their stuff!

Back
Top Bottom