First egg vs. 3rd egg

sarieth

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
My smallest chicken has become our first layer of our flock. We’ve had these gals since March and she has given me 3 eggs since august 14th. I thought it was fun seeing her first smaller egg versus her egg I got from her today. 😁 we had a second gal lay today for the first time, but our littlest is winning the egg race.

Attachments

• IMG_6657.jpeg
    IMG_6657.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 49
My smallest chicken has become our first layer of our flock. We’ve had these gals since March and she has given me 3 eggs since august 14th. I thought it was fun seeing her first smaller egg versus her egg I got from her today. 😁 we had a second gal lay today for the first time, but our littlest is winning the egg race.
What lovely colored eggs! Congratulations to you and your "star" chicken! What breed is your first layer? Is it a breed that stays small, or is she just "petite"? None of my 8 pullets has laid yet, the anticipation is building fast!

What lovely colored eggs! Congratulations to you and your "star" chicken! What breed is your first layer? Is it a breed that stays small, or is she just "petite"? None of my 8 pullets has laid yet, the anticipation is building fast!
She’s a crested cream legbar (but I think she’s a mix). She’s much smaller than her 3 other CCL sisters that I got at the same time. How old are your pullets? My gals just hit 22 weeks.

My Easter Egger "babies" I raised from hatchlings are 18 weeks old, both still looking & acting juvenile, pale pink combs/wattles. The other girls came from a ranch in Montana as started pullets advertised as "between 15-22 weeks old", so by now they'd be between 24-32 weeks old; I'm guessing on the younger end of that range. Most still have pink combs and don't do the "submissive squat" yet but the "top of pecking order" girls whose combs & wattles have grown larger & red are squatting for me now - a Buff Orpington, Delaware, Black Australorp and Rhode Island Red. The big, goofy Barred Rock and petite, shy Whiting's True Blue seem less mature and hang out with the younger ones more.

Your girls have them beat in the laying department - everyone but the 2 Eggers is at least 24 weeks old! So eager to find that first egg!

I planned to buy two chicks this year and and ended up with six pullets -- two Cinnamon Queens, two Sapphire Splashes, a Sapphire Olive Egger and a Midnight Majesty Marans. They turned 16 weeks old while I was on my annual trip to Minnesota. I told my pet sitter to keep watch for someone starting to lay. She apparently didn't because when I got home, there were six eggs in the coop, all laid in a nest box and, from the shape and color, they appeared to have come from two or three girls.

I'm proud of them for beginning production but a bit disappointed that I missed their initial efforts. @sarieth, your eggs are lovely!

So far, I've only caught the CPs hanging out in a nest box.

I planned to buy two chicks this year and and ended up with six pullets -- two Cinnamon Queens, two Sapphire Splashes, a Sapphire Olive Egger and a Midnight Majesty Marans. They turned 16 weeks old while I was on my annual trip to Minnesota. I told my pet sitter to keep watch for someone starting to lay. She apparently didn't because when I got home, there were six eggs in the coop, all laid in a nest box and, from the shape and color, they appeared to have come from two or three girls.

I'm proud of them for beginning production but a bit disappointed that I missed their initial efforts. @sarieth, your eggs are lovely!

So far, I've only caught the CPs hanging out in a nest box.
I thought for sure they'd start when I was on vacation, so I was super excited to see I was wrong! I stalk them now to see if I can catch any other girls laying. One other gal has started since I started this post. :D

Back
Top Bottom