• PR

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Kelliejanine

Songster
Jan 5, 2019
Southern California
13F7C2D4-A340-435F-9F98-E81C4F2ADD8F.jpeg
Such a fun surprise to wake up to our first egg! We have barred Plymouth rocks, Rhode island reds and Silkie chickens currently of laying age. I know this isn’t from the Silkie but am leaning towards it being from a Plymouth Rock. One plymouh rock pullet has had a very large red comb in comparison to the others. But as I mentioned this is our first egg. So any guesses? Does it look like Rhode island red or the Plymouth Rock laid it?

Color could be either but the weight might tell. RIR is large-xlarge and BR is large size. Weight class is determined by the average weight of a dozen eggs. Large 24 oz. x large 27 oz. How much does the egg weigh and if multipled by a dozen which class does it fit? :)

Color could be either but the weight might tell. RIR is large-xlarge and BR is large size. Weight class is determined by the average weight of a dozen eggs. Large 24 oz. x large 27 oz. How much does the egg weigh and if multipled by a dozen which class does it fit? :)
This would be true if the OP was asking about a mature hen and not a pullet that just laid her first egg.

This would be true if the OP was asking about a mature hen and not a pullet that just laid her first egg.

I do realize a pullet egg could be smaller but it might hazard a guess. My eggs since start of lay have been large eggs with a BR, SS, and GB.

If you have ONE pullet with a comb that is obviously larger and redder than the rest, my bets are on her. Does she squat for you ever? Or you can do a butt check on your chickens if they will let you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
No squatting that I’ve noticed, but I noticed one of the girls had been in a nesting box but again I didn’t know who. I’ll check the vents, am I looking for a wet vent? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom