First egg! Who laid it?

schatze17

Songster
13 Years
Apr 13, 2010
My husband just finished building nesting boxes on Friday. On Saturday afternoon, we found our first egg in the nesting box!

The question of the day...who laid it? We have an Araucana/RIR mix (Cutie) who is almost 21 weeks old, and EE (Daisy) who is probably a little younger and 4 BRs who are 1 1/2 weeks younger...

54183_firstegg082810.jpg

Cutie...
54183_cutie082710.jpg

Daisy and the Barred Rocks...
54183_img_4696.jpg

My first guess is Cutie. She was sitting in the nest boxes earlier in the day.

I may have to resort to the food dye experiment... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=389809&p=1

LOL

UPDATE........

So, I went to put the food dye in the vent and noticed that Cutie's vent was extended and very pink. Seems like she's the one?

wink.png

That egg looks like a barred rock egg. See the slight little specks on it? My barred rock, Maxine, has eggs that look just like that, but they are slightly lighter brown.

Just an update...it was definitely Cutie. I did the food dye trick and today we got our second egg with a tiny bit of the food coloring on it.
wink.png

The Barred Rocks are about a week younger than Cutie.

I managed to get a video today of Cutie laying an egg....mystery solved!

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Ok I'm newly registered here...been checkin out this site a long while, got good coupe ideas and stuff, built a real cool coupe with wheels that I can hook to my tractor and move around the property (tractor coupe but big) cool site i like it.......Anyways....you say you hung the Nesting Boxes on Friday and had an egg on Saturday, wow.....well I had understood that i need to keep my nesting boxes closed off until they are ready to lay because ya don't want the chickens sleeping and crapping in there, I think I read that on this site somewhere long while back, ok so I've kept my nesting boxes covered/blocked off with peice of cardboard and well i'm thinking it's time for eggs, and I'm thinking the first sign of an egg somewhere in the henhouse or possibly on the ground in the chicken run and I'll have the nesting boxes ready with straw and fake eggs pull the cardboard off and hope they get the idea.....they are about 21 weeks old now and no eggs guess I should pull that cardboard off.

Back
Top Bottom