First Egg - YAY!! - And a question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Courtney134, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Courtney134

Courtney134 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    We got our first egg yesterday from one of the Golden Sex-Links - She is almost 18 weeks.. my question is that when I cracked it this morning (holy hard shell! took 3x), there was a brownish/red little something attached to the yolk. Is that typical for one of the first eggs?

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    it's common, called "blood spot". It's a glitch in the egg forming process, there is nothing wrong with the egg, just make sure it's completely cooked. I eat the eggs when that happens, but hubby won't, lol.

3. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Quote:yeah. Some people call them meat spots. We eat them around here, no probs. Commercial eggs are screened and they use the eggs with meat spots in processed foods so that the consumer doesn't see *gasp* the way things are naturally.

4. Courtney134

Courtney134 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Quote:Ok.. at least 3/4 of our eggs are like this. I just pick them out. I won't lie.. they gross me out a little. It seems like it's getting less frequent now that they've been laying a couple weeks.

Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by