first egg

articfox2473

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
Hillsdale
We got our first egg and its beautiful. The shell is good to. How long does it take generally to get a normal size egg? I have a hen sitting on the nest right this minute and I'm awaiting my second egg . I can't wait . does this mean all my chickens and ducks will soon lay ? As there all the same age and does everyone eat duck eggs ? Is there a huge difference other then size ? Im so excited and have a million questions but will try not to overload you . thank you and I hope to get a few answers from you experienced ones out there .

Congrats on the egg!
woot.gif

Duck eggs are good, though I haven't eaten any yet myself (I hope to get ducks soon). They are said to have a slightly stronger taste to them and they make fluffier omelets and cakes. They are noticeably larger than chicken eggs, but not huge.

They should be laying soon! Best of luck!
smile.png

My dad and I have 23 chickens with 12 of laying age. 10 of the 12 are 21 weeks old and the other 2 are 18 weeks old. We got our first egg last week and now we have gotten 4 eggs so far. They are going on 22 weeks of age but still only one chicken is laying. They are free ranged and all have big combs and dark red faces. Why won't they lay?

Back
Top Bottom