First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaBellaVita, Aug 17, 2016.

1. LaBellaVita

LaBellaVita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    This morning I was pleasantly surprised to get my first two eggs. Unfortunately one had been layed outside of the coop in the run area and was broken. Is it safe to eat the eggs if they have been eating medicated chick feed? The feed contains Amprolium.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd happily eat it. Since you are getting eggs, it would be a good idea to ether switch to layers food (assuming all your flock is the same age and female) or use growers / general flock feed and provide optional oyster shell as a calcium supplement for those that have begun to lay.

CT

3. LaBellaVita

Apr 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for the advice! The feed they are on says it's chick starter/grower. I will definitely start feeding layer pellets and provide them with oyster shells. Yes all are female and are the same age. They are 18 weeks old , isn't that a little early to be getting the first eggs?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chickens don't follow rules and its certainly not unheard of for such early layers. I may be incorrect but I'm sure that i saw a post today where a member had 15 week olds laying! There's no need to offer oyster shell if they are going to be fed layers feed, as this already has calcium included.

Enjoy your eggs!

CT

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    6 of my 8 started around that age (16-20 weeks).

6. LaBellaVita

Apr 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Lol yes that's true, it just caught me by surprise. Seeing how I found two eggs I'm guessing that there are 2 that started laying. Thanks again!

7. LaBellaVita

Apr 15, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Oh wow, everything I read said around 24 weeks so I just wasn't ready..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by