First egg !!!

rehdancer

Songster
Apr 2, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Oh yes, it's true - Tuesday, the one day I don't check in the morning - I come home from my volunteer day and, oh, what the heck, I'll look in the nesting boxes, just for fun - and here's what I found First egg 9-24-19.jpg
Got another one yesterday. We'll put a trail camera up so we can determine which proud lady created this wonder !!! I suspect it's the gal with the reddest comb. I haven't actually examined any of them, just been keeping an eye on the combs. BTW: my bantam doesn't have a comb, just a crest, any way to tell if she's on the verge of laying?
The fun's just getting better !!

0902191702.jpg I would like to jump in on this discussion, I have two Silkies and they have been laying an egg ever other day now for a month. Each time both would be back in the run and I would go in and find a nice little egg. Today my Thelma went into the coop and never came out. She is sitting on an egg and is in no mood to leave the nest. Should I let her brood or should I take the egg and discourage her?

View attachment 1918927 I would like to jump in on this discussion, I have two Silkies and they have been laying an egg ever other day now for a month. Each time both would be back in the run and I would go in and find a nice little egg. Today my Thelma went into the coop and never came out. She is sitting on an egg and is in no mood to leave the nest. Should I let her brood or should I take the egg and discourage her?

Do you have a rooster? Could her eggs be fertile? If yes and you want babies then by all means let her sit. If no rooster, chuck her off the nest.

If you want babies and have no rooster, see if you can get fertile eggs for her to hatch. Or try to get Day old chicks to pop under her, I have never done day old chicks, so don’t know the logistics of doing so.

It all comes down to if you want babies or not

Oh yes, it's true - Tuesday, the one day I don't check in the morning - I come home from my volunteer day and, oh, what the heck, I'll look in the nesting boxes, just for fun - and here's what I found View attachment 1918277
Got another one yesterday. We'll put a trail camera up so we can determine which proud lady created this wonder !!! I suspect it's the gal with the reddest comb. I haven't actually examined any of them, just been keeping an eye on the combs. BTW: my bantam doesn't have a comb, just a crest, any way to tell if she's on the verge of laying?
The fun's just getting better !!

Nice egg! There's an easy way to tell who laid the egg, if your chickens don't mind a little handling. The pelvic bones, just below the vent, will be wider. (and the vent itself will be bigger and more oval shaped) Compare a pullet who hasn't laid an egg yet - you can barely fit a pinkie between those pelvic bones. Also - since it's a green egg- if you have a mixed flock, it's probably one of your hens with a pea comb … not impossible for a straight comb pullet to lay green eggs, but pea comb is more likely.

Do you have a rooster? Could her eggs be fertile? If yes and you want babies then by all means let her sit. If no rooster, chuck her off the nest.

If you want babies and have no rooster, see if you can get fertile eggs for her to hatch. Or try to get Day old chicks to pop under her, I have never done day old chicks, so don’t know the logistics of doing so.

It all comes down to if you want babies or not
I do have a rooster a Nankin Bantam (given to me) which I do not want chicks from. I would like to get some Silkie eggs from someone. Do you know anyone who would sale me some for her to hatch? I have removed the egg (see Pic it may have been fertile) and take my hen out of the coop three or four times a day. She will feed and drink then right back, and there is no egg now? Sorry if I sound dumb but it is my first year to have chicken. But I just love my Silkies.
Eggfertile.jpg
Eggfertile.jpg

Back
Top Bottom