First egg

watson35

Chirping
Aug 12, 2019
My female turkey hasn’t been laying eggs since November and today she lay a egg so I was wondering if the first egg is bad or what?

Check for a bullseye

FB_IMG_1585177374917.jpg

It is common for the first egg to not be fertile but it is not a guarantee.
She lay another egg today while she was outside we got a nesting box set up for her but she hasn’t been sitting on them plus there is 2 males with her and 4 chickens will that be a problem??

She lay another egg today while she was outside we got a nesting box set up for her but she hasn’t been sitting on them plus there is 2 males with her and 4 chickens will that be a problem??
If you want to keep your hen alive, immediately get one of the toms out of there. Having multiple toms in with a single hen turkey is a recipe for disaster. At the best, fertility will be bad because the toms will do their best to prevent each other from mating with her, at the worst, she will die from a mating injury.

Turkeys do not start brooding their eggs until they have laid a big enough clutch of eggs to trigger their broody hormones. First time layers will often just drop their eggs wherever they happen to be when it is time for the egg to come out. It can take them awhile to understand what is going on. A turkey hen may not agree with you on what a desirable nest site is.

If you want to keep your hen alive, immediately get one of the toms out of there. Having multiple toms in with a single hen turkey is a recipe for disaster. At the best, fertility will be bad because the toms will do their best to prevent each other from mating with her, at the worst, she will die from a mating injury.

Turkeys do not start brooding their eggs until they have laid a big enough clutch of eggs to trigger their broody hormones. First time layers will often just drop their eggs wherever they happen to be when it is time for the egg to come out. It can take them awhile to understand what is going on. A turkey hen may not agree with you on what a desirable nest site is.
She’s been doing good around them but today she’s acting weird she stays in the corner and makes some weird noises but when I go in the building she comes closer to me but after I leave she goes back to the corner like she lost something but she only lay 2 eggs but she hasn’t been sitting on them

She’s been doing good around them but today she’s acting weird she stays in the corner and makes some weird noises but when I go in the building she comes closer to me but after I leave she goes back to the corner like she lost something but she only lay 2 eggs but she hasn’t been sitting on them
If you don't get one of the toms out of there, they will probably kill her. It will be unintentional but it will happen.

She is not going to sit on her eggs while she is building her clutch. She will not sit on the eggs until she becomes broody which will not happen until she has laid enough eggs to satisfy her instincts.

If she lives long enough to go broody, neither of the toms should be allowed to have access to her nest. They will take her laying on the nest as an invitation to breed. During the unwanted breeding attempts, the very least that will happen is that the eggs will get broken. The worst that will happen is that the tom will rip her side wide open and she will die.

Back
Top Bottom