First egg

Hello my friends,
Update on the egg production.
My single RIR hen started laying on the 2nd of August and has laid one chooky bumnut every day so far.
As was suggested I'm taking the eggs and will let her get used to her new job.
I have a small problem.
Sometime ago I started to breed black soldier fly grubs for them to eat. Free food is good.
Sounded like a good idea but they just look at them with a "You must be joking" attitude.
Today there was a lot of earthworms out because of the rain 🌧. More free food, so I collected some and put them on the ground for the chooks and again they looked at them and gave me a you've got to be kidding look and strutted off.
My next plan is to not feed them for a while and see if their aristocratic attitude improves.
what's your advice.
I would not do that. You arent giving them free food. You giving them snacks. Not all chickens like the same things. My older flock hates meal worms. Wont even touch them but loves scratch. My babies love meal worms but hates scratch. But, again, those are treats given MAYBE once a week. Their food is mainly all flock, oyster shells for the layers, and whatever they find while free ranging in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom