FIRST EGG

Yesterday, I found my first REAL egg too! It's so cute! How eggciting! I had a few girls checking out the nesting boxes (actually entering them this time). I think I'm going to have to temporarily block off the rest of the coop during the day, because I had one girl (probably the egg layer) trying to make a nest on the coop floor, right next to the nesting boxes. This egg was just randomly dropped next to their water bucket in the pen.

20230629_140129.jpg

I'm not too experienced, but I'm pretty sure it's normal for deformed eggs when pullets first start laying. My quail could start laying now or in the next few weeks, and I'm super excited to see what they make.
Thank you! How exciting! That first egg really is like Christmas morning!
Yesterday, I found my first REAL egg too! It's so cute! How eggciting! I had a few girls checking out the nesting boxes (actually entering them this time). I think I'm going to have to temporarily block off the rest of the coop during the day, because I had one girl (probably the egg layer) trying to make a nest on the coop floor, right next to the nesting boxes. This egg was just randomly dropped next to their water bucket in the pen.

View attachment 3560940
Yes so very exciting!! I haven’t had to block anything off yet. Most of the time I’m finding eggs in the nesting boxes but I have found 1 on the coop floor, 1 in the run, and 1 under my porch 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

Thank you! How exciting! That first egg really is like Christmas morning!

Yes so very exciting!! I haven’t had to block anything off yet. Most of the time I’m finding eggs in the nesting boxes but I have found 1 on the coop floor, 1 in the run, and 1 under my porch 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
The day after I posted that photo, I found two hens sitting together in one of the nesting boxes (because, you know, THAT nesting box is soooo much better than the other, identical ones, lol). Then a while later...two little eggs in the nesting box! The next day, two more in the nesting box. I didn't need to block off any part of the coop--they just figured it out! So happy!

Give them a month or two, the eggs will get bigger and settle out at whatever size is normal for each chicken.

If all your pullets are the same age and breed, and all their combs are looking big and red, yes, I'd switch them over to layer feed. Or keep them on all-flock/chick starter and add a dish of oyster shell. Who ever needs the oyster shell will eat as much as they need.
Thank you, I came looking for exactly this. First timers, first eggs (two showed up at once out of our 15-bird Ameraucana flock) and we were definitely hoping the size will increase! I was particularly worried that an early layer would lock in on the size she produces, so it's good to hear it changes. I did put out oyster shells in a little cup and they all disappeared, although the cup also was tipped over, we'll definitely put more out.

I also looked for this timely information. I am new to having chickens - 2 O & 3 BR. After 19 weeks I got my first (small) egg. I wondered if it was edible.
I went to the coop yesterday and saw the egg, laying in the sand. I removed the cardboard that blocked the nesting boxes, put in hay, placed golf balls, and sprinkled some Pampered Dust Bath. Today I went to clean the coop and saw “Piper” rearranging the hay to her liking. She’s the one! Got another egg today in the nesting box. Yippee!!!

Thanks for the the oyster shells reminder. Thanks to everyone on this thread. I appreciate your responses. And @2MChickens for writing this post.

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 7
Our girls just turned 18 wks earlier in the week so we’ve been keeping an eye out just in case. Great info in this thread! First time chicken owners here as well. They’re just finishing up their starter feed. We did buy some layer feed to have in hand. The lane on our layer feed says that you can start feeding it to them at 16 weeks. Considering they’re still working through the chick stuff, we’re just giving them a bit of the new stuff in the morning as a breakfast mash.

I have seen some video that talk about egg laying signs like super red comb and wattles, and squatting behavior. Our girls aren’t doing that yet, so maybe we have a while to go.

Love the idea of keeping the first egg shell! Gave me ideas for a cute shadow box :).

One of our girls laid her first egg! I am a first time chicken owner so I am very very excited!! But I also have some questions!

Is it normal that it is so small?

Is there anything special you have to do to first (or any) eggs?

I have 11 pullets, do I need to wait until they’re all laying before I change their feed?
Congratulations, beautiful! I only have one hen laying at present. Her first one was large and double yolk, the rest have been small. As I understand is normal and will get larger in time.
My first egg: First egg - Sally.jpg

Thought I would also show a photo of the oyster shell dish I put together for ideas. DG hanging solar light cage, superglued a small plastic plant drip dish to the bottom.
Oyster Shell Dish.jpg

Congratulations, beautiful! I only have one hen laying at present. Her first one was large and double yolk, the rest have been small. As I understand is normal and will get larger in time.
My first egg: View attachment 3643222

Thought I would also show a photo of the oyster shell dish I put together for ideas. DG hanging solar light cage, superglued a small plastic plant drip dish to the bottom.
View attachment 3643227
Nice egg!
I like the oyster shell tray except for the light. I'd be afraid they'd peck the glass and break it then eat it.

Back
Top Bottom