First egg

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beckyschicks, Sep 30, 2010.

1. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    I know it's silly but I wanted to share my first eggs. She gave me one yesterday and today. They are so amazing! My little quail lays eggs as big as her head! Such a cool bird. Hoping to incubate some soon. Alittle nervous about that but hopefully will do just fine. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    nice, are those courtnix eggs?

3. beckyschicks

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    They are. I only have one girl right now, not a good number. So I'm hoping to hatch some out.

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Very Cool.
    Just wait till you start hatching more girls out. The first thing you know you'll be canning pickled eggs for winter salads.

I put up 5-12 oz jars today and last week and probably next week. And there a 2 quarts in the frig. already. See this is what will be coming your way if you hatch a lot of girls. [​IMG]

Good luck.

5. beckyschicks

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Thanks! Pickled eggs, hadn't thought about that. Something to think about. I have a friend of mine that really wants to try the eggs. So when there comes a time when there is extra she will have some. My only issue is what to do with the extra boys that hatch. I already have two and I know some of you are saying, duh eat them. Well personally I don't think I can. I'll cull if I have to, but that's the last thing I want to do. Although my dad keeps coming over and joking about eating them, maybe he will want them. Guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  6. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Aww, new eggs! I am eventually hoping to process and eat my own quail, but for now I usually sell off the extras at auction or I give them to my braver neighbors who don't mind processing them.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awesome Congrats! [​IMG]

I would wait to incubate them until she has been laying for a few weeks, I've heard that you won't get good hatch rates if you try and hatch out the first eggs she lays. Do you have a male in with her?

8. beckyschicks

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Yeah I do. I actually have two males right now. 1 male and 1 female in one pen and a lone male in another pen. That's why I want to hatch. I have heard that you should wait but I figure what have I got to lose? We'll see if the MIL ever brings her incubator over! Sorry that woman is so flighty sometimes. [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    How many are you going to save upe before sticking them in the incubator?

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:trust me, THAT is not silly. everyone posts about their first eggs! isn't ix excitingz??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by