First Egg !!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by delfargo, Oct 21, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

GOT HOME FROM WORK LAST NIGHT AND WENT TO THE NEST BOXES AND FOUND MY FIRST EGG!!!
    not sure who laid it, but there it was... light brown and smallish, so we took it in the house & broke it into the frying pan and to my surprise, it was a double-yolker ! so we fried it up and it was yummy! not much of a meal due to the size, more of a light snack, but it sure was good and i was so happy they are finally starting to lay.
    then this morning, when i went to let the hens out for the day before i left for work, i checked the nest boxes and there were no eggs (didn't figure there would be) but when i went into the "bunk house" to clean the poop boards, i found a soft-shelled egg on the poop board. someone must have laid it in thier sleep? i've read that i shouldn't worry about the soft shell quite yet, as abnormalities are common when they first start to lay. they eat well and i have oyster shell out for them, so assume all will be well soon.
    i can't wait for more !
    just had to share the news.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Congrats. How old are your girls? Mine are 18wks, so I'm still waiting for my 1st egg.

3. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

just turned 18 weeks this past weekend.... so maybe you got an egg or 2 headed your way soon!!! good luck!

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    That is soooooooooo EGGCITING!!! and a double yolker to boot!!

5. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Congrats! I just made my first omeltte the other night - my first chickens and their first set of eggs ! So cool!

6. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Three of our girls gave us an egg gift yesterday for the first time! YAY! So exciting, huh? Did you enjoy your double-yolker? I got another egg today, and can NOT wait until they all are regular.

Congrats! [​IMG]

7. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Congratulations! I still run out there like an eggs-cited little kid every day when I get home from work. Somehow the novelty of eggs has not worn off!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by