First Egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wnunezcruz, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    I have been waiting for so long! Finally, i went outside yesterday to check on my silkies and saw a first egg from either my blue/splash/white pullets. This is the first year i have actually raised chickens from chicks and saw them lay their own eggs. I used to buy older hens. Then today i went to my other silkie pen and one of my mixed broodies layed her first egg. Im so excited. Now i have to find a way to see which pullet exactly is laying the eggs. Can anyone give me some ideas on how i would find that out? Thanks for any input.

Heres one of the eggs, unfortunatly the other was cracked im guesing it froze.

[​IMG]

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    nice egg!!!!!!!.......you could sit and watch the coop to see who goes in there!!!!!!...........[​IMG]

3. Wnunezcruz

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks! I thought about doing that. lol:)

4. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    or you could get a chicken cam!!!!....i have a chicken that lays a jumbo egg!!...i have yet to find out which one it is!...maybe in the spring i will pull up a seat!

5. Wnunezcruz

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    That's a good idea! I will look into that.

6. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    I am glad not to be the only proud parent of a first egg! I have a cam in our coop that feeds a picture and sound into my kitchen. I was so excited when my first egg was laid yesterday. I saw my hen go into the nest and heard her song! Wow, so exciting!!!
    I see why everyone is so obsessed with chickens. This is so much fun. I have different colored bands on my 4 hens to tell them apart. I know that it was Polly who laid the first egg. As a matter of fact, she is back on the nest right now. I'm hoping to hear
    her egg song!
    Congrats to all the first eggs![​IMG]

7. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Congrats!

Sometimes it's just a matter of catching them in the act....that's how I've been able to tell.

8. Wnunezcruz

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    Quote:It really is a joy to own these beauties!! You sure can learn a lot from them. Thanks

9. Wnunezcruz

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    Quote:Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by