First EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Richard, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Richard

Richard Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Antioch IL
    [​IMG] Well 1 of my girls finally laid and egg yesterday it was one of the Iowa Blues it was a very small egg (about the size of a quarter)but man it was tasty. Could not belive the color of the yolk . It was a very dark colored orange.I was very happy to find that she laid it in the nest .All the Girls are 22 weeks old and all except 2 have really bright red crowns and wattles so I am hoping to get alot eggs very soon. So now I have some questions how long will she being be laying the small eggs for?
    should I fill their feeder with layer feed or should I wait till some more of the girls start laying?

2. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    congrats!!!!! feels good doesnt it?

3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have 11 hens and some of them started laying about three weeks ago. They all started with very small eggs but have gradually gotten bigger to the point that they are large now and I have even had several double yolk eggs. Now when I get a small egg I know it is one of the girks who is new at laying. I put mine on laying crumbles as soon as they started laying. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Congrats!! Can't wait for our first egg(s); we have a few more months.

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats great did you fry it sunny side up?

6. Richard

May 8, 2008
    Antioch IL
    :cool:over easy LOL I just checked she is on the nest laying another one right now hopefully the other girls will get the hint

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Eggcellent! [​IMG]

8. Richard

May 8, 2008
    Antioch IL
    this one is a little bit bigger than yesterday if I save up about 6 or 7 of them I could have an omelet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by