First eggs šŸ™

vegjet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
Well my long awaited first eggs were on the coop floor very early this morning, they are soft shelled, one looks like it was eaten the other was just cracked open .. dang it

Attachments

• F6D023AE-7C7B-4153-9B10-6F1D3BE955C2.jpeg
    F6D023AE-7C7B-4153-9B10-6F1D3BE955C2.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 10
Well my long awaited first eggs were on the coop floor very early this morning, they are soft shelled, one looks like it was eaten the other was just cracked open .. dang it
Same thing happened to me! I was so excited for the first eggs and my girl ended up laying a soft shell as well found under the perch! Her next eggs were beautiful though with solid shells! I wouldnā€™t worry too much, sometimes the first ones are just wonkey. Provide some oyster shells on the side if you donā€™t already and I think everything will be fine :) definitely a bummer for the first egg though, I know the feeling!

Same thing happened to me! I was so excited for the first eggs and my girl ended up laying a soft shell as well found under the perch! Her next eggs were beautiful though with solid shells! I wouldnā€™t worry too much, sometimes the first ones are just wonkey. Provide some oyster shells on the side if you donā€™t already and I think everything will be fine :) definitely a bummer for the first egg though, I know the feeling!
Yes! And two of them! They were under the roost and my one hen is in the layer box right now, She been in there a couple hours now.. ack! The suspense!

Iā€™m dealing with this today. So disappointed. Hoping the next couple weeks it proves to be the novelty of everything and not an issue!

Iā€™m dealing with this today. So disappointed. Hoping the next couple weeks it proves to be the novelty of everything and not an issue!
Very likely. Very early eggs can be wonky until their systems get into a rhythm. Laying in the wrong place, soft shell, small eggs, double yolkers, etc. Generally it doesn't take long at all to straighten out. If it doesn't, then ask for help and people will be happy to offer suggestions.

Now that you have layers, be sure that they have access to sufficient calcium- either layer feed (if dealing with only layers) or with calcium on the side (better if dealing with a mixed flock).

Very likely. Very early eggs can be wonky until their systems get into a rhythm. Laying in the wrong place, soft shell, small eggs, double yolkers, etc. Generally it doesn't take long at all to straighten out. If it doesn't, then ask for help and people will be happy to offer suggestions.
Thanks for the hope!

Back
Top Bottom