1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First eggs and I need help on who is laying (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JMPE, Dec 13, 2009.

1. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    My 5 girls are 18 weeks and I found eggs for the first time today. I think one was there yesterday or the day before (it was buried), but two definitely came today. I am thinking it is two different girls because two were in one spot and one in another that was a lighter color (unless something like freezing can affect color).

I don’t know which of my girls are getting busy. I am pretty sure my Red Star is one that is laying. Who do you think is my other layer? I have 2 EEs, 1 BA, 1 SLW, and 1 Red Star. EEs are usually slow to lay... right? What is the best way to tell who's laying? What's the deal if the eggs freeze? Any other advice for a newby?

Red Star (Alice)
    [​IMG]

BA (Louise)
    [​IMG]

SLW (Charlotte)
    [​IMG]

EEs (Ester and Bonnie)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the 5 of them together
    [​IMG]

Here are the eggs
    [​IMG]

2. sbarab

sbarab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    The red star sure does look mature enough to be laying. The more cream colored egg looks alot like the eggs that my gold laced wynodotte lays, so maybe the SLW is laying.

3. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    My guess would be your SLW and Red Star. Your BA probably won't lay until closer to 24+ weeks. The combs on the EE's don't look red enough for laying yet. I have had hens lay in different locations out of the nest box - particularly when starting to lay for the first time. Congrats on starting to get eggs from your girls! My BA's have been my best most consistent layer so far. You have a pretty little flock!!

4. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Congrats on the eggs. I'm excited for you. My girls are 19 weeks and no eggs yet. I have a BA that looks just like yours. Can't wait for that first egg.[​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The dark eggs are for sure from your red star. Your EE's don't look ready yet, and neither does your BA. So that leaves your SLW.

Congrats! 2 less freeloaders! ETA: That 1 egg looks almost mauve. So pretty!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  6. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Gawjess aigs!!! Jus gawjess!

7. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Thank you all so much. [​IMG]

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    So SLW and GLW lay at 18 weeks. I'm as confused as you are. I really was thinking you were taking pics in my yard other then the snow. All your birds look like mine. Everyone in my coop basically stopped laying. And I have BO and Black Giant Jerseys which should be laying still. I bought winter layers and its beginning of winter and I'm only getting 2-3 eggs a day out of 12 that should be laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by