First Eggs and Rooster

Waldorbigbill

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Hey we got out First egg the other day followed by 4 more yesterday. The question I had is the rooster attacked my one son then later in the day attacked the second child. He has never show aggression but one time and that was at a squrial trying to steal chicken food. He has been hand tame and played with since birth. Do you think this is just a phase because of the egg laying or is this something I should worry about and break out the deep fryer?

Rooster + children = potential trouble. You don't say how old your rooster is, but if he's the same age as your newly-laying pullet then he's coming into his own (hormone wise) and should never be trusted around small children. Roosters can inflict a lot of injury, and young children are low to the ground so injury to the eyes, etc. is very possible. Congrats on your first egg!

Yeah But how long should I wait to see if this pass I told the kids not to go near him for now. he is the same age as the egg layer .

I know that there are some folks on BYC who will disagree with me, but IMO young children should never be assumed safe in the vicinity of a rooster. I have two roos (a light sussex and an olive egger) who I am very fond of. They've never shown the least sign of aggression around me, but the sussex went for my four year old granddaughter and would have attacked if my boot hadn't interrupted the charge. Roosters have their own way of viewing and being in the world - it's all about dominance, procreation, and protection of "his" harem. Young children look like competitors. So, in answer to your question, how long? I wouldn't ever trust him around the kids, it's just asking for trouble.

We have had to have two Roos catch the bus to camp Freezer for the very same reason! Chasing the kids (and sneaking up behind me while i'm gardening)

Our current Roo came after me once! For 5 days follwing, i went after him with the garden hose and soaked him. It has been 4 weeks and no further bad behaviour!

But....I agree with blefky, kids and questionable Roos are not a good mix. My little ones (human little ones) are not allowed in the free range paddock without an adult.

I told my wife today I don't want them near the rooster. And I agree if he went after me we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

Hmmmmm, Thanks Waldorbigbill for posting this topic as I have a three year old (youngest) and a few roos. It has given me a lot of food for thought.

I have a rooster my 5 year old daughter carries around on a regular basis. He's never attacked anyone, and I still don't trust him enough to let my daughter into their run unsupervised. Roosters can inflict alot of damage upon a child, this I know from personal experience. I was attacked by a big RIR roo my grandmother used to own. And to this day, I absolutely despise red chickens (weird, I know). If your rooster is young, he may grow out of this phase and calm down. If he's around a year or so (which is what I consider fully mature), send his butt to the stew pot. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom