1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First eggs are here (yipee!!) but hens have been getting DE...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristenm1975, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'll never be able to spell it correctly, but I'll give it a shot. Diatomaceous earth. We'd suspected that the hens had worms as they were having runny green poops, so I bought some of the DE and just mixed it in with a large amount of their food and they've been getting it regularly for about the last three weeks. I put maybe 1-2% ratio in, (DE to food) but I'm unsure as to whether these little eggs are fit for human consumption now. What's the consensus?

Thanks!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    if the DE is food grade..i'm thinking..it should be okay.[​IMG]..but...please..dont listen to me..someone here who has experience with this will know..wait for thier reply..good luck..Wendy

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm not sure I understand your question. You are using food grade DE right? The other (pool grade) is toxic for chickens. Food grade is just that..fit for food consumption. Are you asking if they are eating DE, can you eat their eggs? If so, yes.

Jody

4. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't have the box and had forgotten that it was supposed to be food grade (we're moving right now, so I can't even find my raincoat, let alone that pesky box!) so I'm very relieved to hear the eggs are edible! Yay!![​IMG]

Thanks for the help all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by