First eggs are super small....

DramaBrahmaMama

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Knoxville, IA
So, one, possibly two of our Barred Rocks have started laying. They are perfect in color, shell strength and yolk consistency... But they are super small. This is the fourth one.
We changed to laying crumble and they have been getting oyster shells for a couple of weeks now.
Will we start to see them getting bigger?

Left is fresh Right is from store
1659296746331.png
1659297108445.png

Take an empty egg carton. Place each new egg in the carton in order of it being laid. You could even number the slots.

What this will demonstrate is how each successive egg is incrementally larger than the preceding egg. By the time you've accumulated two dozen, you will see the eggs have reached nearly full size.

I have a mixed flock this time... last time I had only Barred Rocks. I assume because I was just so excited to get my first egg ever back then, maybe I didn't notice them being small. 🤷‍♀️ I mean, other than the size, they are absolutely perfect!! And the girls are only 18 weeks old!!!

Take an empty egg carton. Place each new egg in the carton in order of it being laid. You could even number the slots.

What this will demonstrate is how each successive egg is incrementally larger than the preceding egg. By the time you've accumulated two dozen, you will see the eggs have reached nearly full size.
Great idea!!!!!! And the grandkids will LOVE that!!!!!!

I can remember my grandmother, who bought the groceries with her egg money and therefore took it seriously. She was so furious, because she went into a store, and they were advertising 'diet eggs' and charging MORE for them. Must of been the late 60's.

She opened up the carton and nearly screeched, "THEY ARE PULLET EGGS!" Cause she had always had the keep the pullet eggs at home and eat them or take a severe discount due to their size.

Oh she was mad!

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom