First Eggs...are they safe?!

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
We found our first eggs this morning, but I'm not sure how we can tell if they're safe to eat! We have three hens, all the same age, three different breeds. The eggs are all pretty close to the same color and size, mostly white to off white. Since all three birds free range, we're not sure how long these eggs have been in this nest...we found it by accident. I did the float test, all seven eggs sink.

(Oops..I was distracted earlier...when I did the float test all 7 eggs sunk right to the bottom. No floaters!!)

Last edited:
LOL
lau.gif

They are totally safe. Enjoy!!!

If they float, they're older. I'd pass on eating floaters. New eggs will lay flat on the bottom when you float test. Slightly older eggs will tip up a bit, but still touch bottom. Eggs that completely float are old.

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/egg-guide/fresh-egg-test.html

"As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface. The egg will still be good enough to consume, however, if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom