1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First eggs for pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Red Rosie, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Red Rosie

Red Rosie New Egg

May 1, 2011
    My pullets are just starting to lay. I also have 6 hens. I checked the box today and we had 9 eggs. One of them was huge though! I mean, bigger than a jumbo, and it had a cracked spot at one end. It was so large that it could have been 2! Is this possibly from a pullet that didn't lay the day before? I don't think this particular egg will even fit in an egg carton!

2. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    It's not at all unusual to get extra large eggs from pullets, double yolks and even trebble yolk eggs sometimes. They'll soon settle down as their bodies get used to the egg making process. About the 9 eggs from 6 pullets, I'm guessing you didn't collect all the eggs from the day(s) before. I have never personally gotten more eggs than I had hens in one day unless I found a cache I hadn't discovered before. Regards, Woody

3. mleigh

mleigh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Arizona
    I have a small frizzle that lays the tiniest little eggs, then one day I got one from her that was larger than any jumbo egg I had ever seen! It does happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by