First eggs from Rhode Island Red yesterday

fiddleblue

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
I have a flock of 8 hens, 4 are 6 months old, 2 just shy of that, and 2 are 5 1/2 months. Yesterday I got my first eggs from the 5 1/2 month old Rhode Island Red. She laid not just one but THREE eggs! All the ladies couldn't stop talking about it and there was yakking and honking and strutting going on all morning. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California where the weather is mild and yesterday was sunny and warm. The very first egg, amazingly, got laid exactly where it was supposed to go: in the nest box where I had put straw and golf balls to encourage similar shaped objects to appear. The other two got laid in a bundle of straw that fell on the floor of the henhouse, and Goldie was proudly tending that nest and sitting on her two eggs. I reached under her and replaced them with golf balls. She didn't brood but shortly was out to strut and yak about it again!

wee.gif
Well, its started! Congrats

I'm not absolutely sure all 3 eggs came from the same hen. Today I found another hen, the Buff Orpington, sitting in a nest box in the morning, and I came back later and there was an egg there. So it looks like two have started laying right at the same time. Is it possible that it's infectious, that once one begins laying others will catch on?

Back
Top Bottom