First Eggs! Was expecting white?

Aug 1, 2019
My flock consists of 3 leghorn pullets (21 weeks) and 1 silkie pullet (20 weeks). I understand that the leghorns are approaching their egg laying age/size, but was under the impression that the silkie would not begin laying until she was closer to a year old. After waiting patiently for months, my girls blessed me with their first 2 eggs this morning. Of course I am extremely proud and excited. One is large, and the other is about 1/2 the size of the large one, and both are brown. I am confused as to how I got 2 brown eggs, as I thought that leghorns lay only white eggs and the silkie isn't of laying age. Any info would be appreciated.

My flock consists of 3 leghorn pullets (21 weeks) and 1 silkie pullet (20 weeks). I understand that the leghorns are approaching their egg laying age/size, but was under the impression that the silkie would not begin laying until she was closer to a year old. After waiting patiently for months, my girls blessed me with their first 2 eggs this morning. Of course I am extremely proud and excited. One is large, and the other is about 1/2 the size of the large one, and both are brown. I am confused as to how I got 2 brown eggs, as I thought that leghorns lay only white eggs and the silkie isn't of laying age. Any info would be appreciated.
You clearly don't have leghorns!
Yes, please post pictures. I'm guessing you may have white rocks.

IMG_4705.png
IMG_4705.png
IMG_4704.png
IMG_4707.png

You clearly don't have leghorns!
Yes, please post pictures. I'm guessing you may have white rocks.
I am open to the idea of my girls being White Rocks, however, their build and personality don't match what I've read about White Rocks. These girls are lean and a little flighty. Or, maybe I perceive them to be that way because I thought they were Leghorns?

FYI.... My silkie started laying between 5 and 6 months old. Their eggs are medium size(as in midway between a full size hen egg and a Serama egg) and they are a beige color.
Thanks for the info. After looking at pictures of silkie eggs online, I think the smaller egg may have come from her. Not only is she the sweetest of the flock, but now she's one of the first producers.

Back
Top Bottom