1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First eggs will be here soon, have question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Canarygirl, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Canarygirl

Canarygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    I have buff orpingtons that are 22 weeks old, I know they will be laying very soon. Do you eat the first few eggs or wait? Oh and one other question they seemed to be molting is this normal for this time of year or do pullets do that? I have 5 of them.

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I always heard not to eat the first egg or the second egg but okay to eat the 3rd egg. I would think they would be kinda young to be molting already, i heard they don't molt til aorund 18 months.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

The first few eggs I gave to my dogs. They loved them. As far as molting, they should not be...check them for mites!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You sure can eat the first eggs! No problem with that at all. I think what you're thinking of is not trying to hatch the first pullet eggs. Usually, they are rather small and produce small, sometimes not as hardy, chicks.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

First eggs are perfectly fine to eat...Most of us blow them out and keep them just like we do with baby teeth, first haircut...
    Chicks moult 3 times during their first year of life.
    The first is the down to first feathers. Next is "teenage" feathers. And last is almost adult colours. Then they'll moult once a year.
    So conceivably your 22 weeks olds COULD be moulting. I can't remember back 4 years when I had Tom and Jerry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by