First eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaylin, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Kaylin

Kaylin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Santa Fe, Texas
    I knew it was going to happen. Went out of state for 4 days for a family memorial service and missed the first eggs, lol. Warned the pet sitter it was probably going to happen so she sent me pictures. I knew one hen, my buff orp Jane, was ready but someone else was too! I suspect her partner in crime, my other buff Jaqueline. Two eggs appeared Monday (on the floor in the poopiest spot of course) and when I got back tuesday I got to gather another one!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They all turned 22 weeks old on sunday and the next day, eggs! I hadnt had a chance before I left to open up the nest boxes, I was hoping they'd wait, lol. Got them opened up now!

I have 2 buff orps, 2 speckled sussex, 2 GLW, and 2 salmon faverolles. Can't wait to see the eggs from all the other girls!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Wow! Congrats! Those are lovely eggs![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Nice! Get those next boxes open with some fake eggs or golf balls in them!

4. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    hi mountain peeps I got my first egg a week ago yesterday and have not gotten any more. should I be worried?

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Nope, no need to worry. When pullets first begin, their egg-laying schedules are not regular. So, it'll take a little bit for things to be set in stone and for her to be laying regularly. [​IMG]

6. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    thank you so much,[​IMG]

7. Kaylin

Kaylin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Didn't even need to worry about it! I opened up the boxes that evening when I got home and filled them with shavings and timothy and the next morning smart little Jane nestled right in and has been laying every day since. Didn't even need a fake egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by