First EGGS!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by allmychickens, Aug 20, 2011.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    We were gone for a week and had our friends check for eggs on tuesday and there were none, we came back today and found four!!! four eggs in three days and they were tiny! The hen and rooster bred recently could they be fertilized? they are her first eggs...
    The first pic is hen second is rooster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    ?

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Yes they are probably fertile but if you intend to incubate them, I would wait a couple of months until they are bigger: many pullet eggs do not do well incubated. Congrats on the eggs!!! [​IMG]

4. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Im hoping that she will sit on them herself [​IMG] she made a nest and layed four in three days so we will see. will the "chicks" die if she doesnt sit on them soon? they were all four warm when i felt them yesterday but she isnt sitting on them now.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Congratulations!

7. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    they are cold now couase she isnt sitting on them so they wont hatch right??

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Congratulations. [​IMG]

9. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am not an expert but I can tell you what my ameraucanas do. They never show any interest in sitting on the eggs! I do know that a hen that does sit, usually lays a few to several before sitting. The eggs will be fine if they don't get too cold or too hot in the mean time. Hopefully someone with more experience will answer your question. Those first eggs are so exciting. I have a couple of 6 month old silkie pullets that haven't layed yet. Of course with silkies they could still turn out to be cockerels. [​IMG]

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    If your girls have just started laying they probably will not go broody for a little while. Also, it is best to wait until they are laying bigger eggs before trying to hatch chicks from them.
    Just enjoy the eggs for eating for a bit.

When a hen goes broody she will stay in the nest box alot. She will pull out her breast feathers so that the exposed skin warms the eggs. Flatten out over the eggs like a pancake. Give you major stink eye accompanied by growling and fluffing up when you get too close. When you see these signs then you know you have a hen ready to hatch eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by