First eggs..

Sorry again didnt realize your yard was an assumed example. So how do they hatch when YOU arent there....oh I guess they cant exist without you. Silly me. Please pardon me Grower of birds in all nations.

Sorry again didnt realize your yard was an assumed example. So how do they hatch when YOU arent there....oh I guess they cant exist without you. Silly me. Please pardon me Grower of birds in all nations.

You're acting and talking foolish, you're also putting words in my mouth.

but by all means keep ranting trash at me, you're full of it, and the more you say in defense of that indefensible "tall tale" the more people here realize it. carry on.

PS. since its a Japanese quail would you say its "natural environment" could be found in Japan?
I've been to Japan, twice. Have you? I have in laws that live 10,000 miles away.
(don't be jealous, men) So did you have to leave the county(county not country) to come up with that story?

Quote:Seriously?? when the egg might hatch, I suppose a friendly critter might come along and maybe keeps it warm and might feed it and maybe protects it?

yes, could be.

(Buzzer)
Thank YOU for the ridicule so that I may hesitate to ask any more questions.

I was debating wether or not to put my two cents in here but then I read the following:

"Quail: Factory Farming’s Smallest Victim"

wow... I mean wow... victim? The captive Coturnix quail we all raise in our backyards have been selectively bred for egg production, and larger bird size (meat) for so many generations that they have lost the broody behavior of their wild ancestors. That is not all they have lost; mine can barely fly 6 feet without becoming exhausted. The wild ancestors of these birds will no doubt raise their own young, and fly well enough to migrate but these captive bred and born birds have had that part of their instincts bred right out of them.

But maybe everyone should just turn our feathered prisoners (hehe QuailJailer) free. They will be victims only a few days longer if we do that, and the coyotes and raccoons will love us for it! Even if they did survive they would die off anyway because they don't know how to raise their young.

I would also like to point out that the first article states that Coturnix incubate eggs for 21-23 days. They have the incubation times mixed up with Bobwhite quail. That article is written to appear well researched but it is quite obvious to me that it was written by an idealistic fop.

Also: broody behavior may be somewhat learned, but I have hatched hundreds of chickens in an incubator and dozens under a broody hen. The Rhode Island Reds raised by a hen don't go broody and the Ameraucanas hatched in an incubator often make good broody moms. My experience suggests that genetics play a much larger role in determining broody behavior than the means by which they were hatched.

Quote:
Don't hesitate to ask more questions, but please do think twice before arguing a point not backed up with facts. :)
Who argued what? Im looking back. I see a question by me.... An insult ....a return insult by me...a return insult to me .. A return insult by me..., Somebody else showing reference... And acceptance and appreciation by me. No facts No arguments Try reading the convo before making statements.

I found it seems out of my 3 new cortunix 2 appear to be male. I seperated a pair (golden) and have been checking daily for eggs. Today there were the first two.
Is it possible to have two in a day? Or did I err in gender (going by speckled chest). Or did I not see one yesterday?

Also can I leave the eggs in the cage for the female to hatch naturally?
If the hen ovulates two yolks you will almost always get a double yolk egg not two separate eggs. You probably missed one or there are two hens in there. Since they are very regular layers you will find out soon enough!

Cots have been bred for so many generations to be incubator raised it's rare for them to set on their own eggs, and even rarer for them to set until their eggs hatch. Get an incubator or a broody painted quail (button) to hatch them for you.

Good point. I wonder if someone tries raising some and right before they hatch instead of regular lockdown would move em to say an aquarium setup with a hay/etc nest for them to hatch in. Repeat for several generations and see if any changes pop up.
Would be a cool experiment.

My hens lay in a small box i have hay in for them. Every eggs has been in there except the very first ever egg and one yesterday was in the dustbox.
I don't think that would work since they would not have a broody hen to raise them. Just hatching in a "nest" does not equate being mothered by a hen.

Back
Top Bottom