first eggs!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ficklchickens, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ficklchickens

ficklchickens New Egg

Oct 5, 2014
    Mine havent laid their first eggs yet. I have one Buff Orpington (Sara), and two Easter Eggers (Mary, Winnie). they're just about six months. so I am hoping soon! but in the mean time, I wouldnt mind seeing some of everyone elses first eggs! name what type of chicken you had, and about how old they were when they laid them :) or show me the chicken responsible! any tips and tricks or things to watch for??? (im new)... THANKS im super excited to get my first egg!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    They should start laying any time now. Their combs and faces will become redder and they may start visiting the nest boxes and start pretend laying. The BO should be the first to lay ( a pinkish egg). EE's are late bloomers and may take longer. To encourage them to lay where you want, put a fake egg or golf ball in the nest box. If you have more than one nest box, don't be surprised if they only use one, it is quite normal.
    Be sure to offer free choice oyster shell along with their feed so they have enough calcium to make egg shells. They will eat it when they need it. Happy first eggs! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ficklchickens

ficklchickens New Egg

Oct 5, 2014
    I feel like sara's comb and wattles are still a little too pink but could this be a sign that they're starting to turn red?? The bottoms of her wattles are starting to get darker![​IMG]

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    She still looks a little too pink but she's thinking about it. It won't be too much longer. [​IMG] I have 4 like her but they are a little over 8 months now, all have been laying for a good two months, I didn't mark their start date like I should have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by