First ever chicks arriving on Tuesday!!!!!

EggEgg

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2017
Eastern WA
Hi folks! My husband and I are starting our first chicks ever now that we have our own home and some land. They are coming in a few days and I am super excited. We were going to start with 5 - 6 but long story short are starting with 15 instead! We still have a lot of snow on the ground here but we are ready and nervous at the same time. Our newborns are a mix of Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Welsummers, and Marans. I cannot wait for our nice post office folks to call me saying they have arrived! I'm sure I will be using this community for tips and help, yay.

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds a lot like my family! New home, some land, first time with chickens! (though I have to wait until almost May for mine!) And we were going to go for 15...and went for 36 instead
big_smile.png

Good luck with the chicken adventure and I'm sure you'll find lots of invaluable info here!

Waiting for first chicks is so exciting. Good luck with yours. I remember staring at pictures and looking at the breeds we were getting on Youtube. I dreamed of chickens.

Welcome to BYC and the poultry keeping adventure! Sounds like you are starting out with a lovely mixed flock there. If you decide you still want to pare down your numbers you could always raise these birds up to the "coop ready" (fully feathered) stage and then sell them for enough that you can recoup the cost of all the chicks (possibly plus some depending on how many you keep/sell) - lots of folks like getting birds that are old enough to skip the brooder stage.

G’Day from down under EggEgg
frow.gif
Welcome!

Congrats on your new home and land and best wishes to you and the little ones, when they arrive .. very exciting!

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Be sure to open their box at the post office, so all can see if they are doing okay. Warm up the car before driving away with them.

West Coast greetings to you!
1f603.png

I had the same type of thing happen when I just wanted 5-6 Speckled Sussex - but the shipping was more for fewer, so I also ended up ordering 15. We found some folks to split the order with once they arrived, but I like Ol Grey Mare's suggestion of getting them past the brooder stage then selling them too... although you'll probably end up quite attached to the whole lot of them....and then decide you want 15 more!!
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png