First Ever Eggs!

AdamD77

Songster
9 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Bedfordshire, England
It's finally happened, this morning we found not one but two eggs!
big_smile.png
The girls are now 11 months old and we've been waiting for so long that it was getting hard to keep hoping every morning, but now we're so happy. We have no idea who's laid them, we're assuming its two starting miraculously on the same day... Could it be one duck laying two in one morning?

A variety of things make it even weirder that they started this morning:

1. I was at home from university for a couple of days, and am back now until tomorrow night, so they laid when I was there!
2. My mum actually waited by the back door of the house so that if there was an egg I could tell her.
3. Just yesterday I was saying now that the weather is warming up and the days are getting longer, maybe there shouldn't be too long to wait...

Here's a photo of them:
198645_10150151863783064_745053063_8215297_6312791_n.jpg

And one of the girls, just for fun
tongue.png

IMAG0236.jpg

Now we're just excited to see what there is tomorrow, it'll be annoying if there's nothing!
lol.png
I'll keep you all posted, and fingers crossed it wasn't just a one-off
lol.png

I know...not finding eggs when you want them is sooo disappointing! Same thing with the number of eggs. If you usually get x number of eggs, you are disappointed if you don't get that many every day! Dont they know how disappointing it is?
lol.png

Update
I had to go back to uni for the day today so my mum was going to be the one checking for eggs this morning and she found one more - making three in total
big_smile.png
We fried the first one we found so we could taste the egg on its own (my dad really liked it, which was good because having eggs was one of the points that persuaded him to let me have ducks!), then being Pancake Day we used the other two in the pancake mixture, and had some looovely pancakes
big_smile.png

The three eggs
196872_10150153109768064_745053063_8228577_1577799_n.jpg

Fried duck egg - the yolk was massive!
189430_10150153238643064_745053063_8229662_3884486_n.jpg

Now I'm back home until Saturday so I can have a few more days of being the one to check for eggs
big_smile.png

How old are your cute ducks? Three for three is totally awesome! I absolutely wish I could find an apple pool like yours. It's just too too adorable.

The two boys are two years this April and the 4 girls are a year in April
smile.png

Three is good after 11 months of nothing!
lol.png
I'd love to know who's laying them, but we just can't really tell.. We're assuming two started on the same day since I doubt one laid two eggs in one morning. When/If the day comes when there are 4 eggs, we can be almost certain that all 4 girls have started!
lol.png

Haha, it's served us well! One of the halves got a crack in it so we haven't used it much since then, but the other half is still very good, and they like it! You might be able to find something similar, maybe on eBay or something...?

Quote:
Until the ducks get into the laying and become more and more productive there ic a chance that they will all start laying, but not all lay on the same day for a little while yet.

It's a great day for me when every single one of my birds lays an egg on the same day, very rarely though.

Yeah, if all 4 of them laid one one day I would be amazed, and very happy!

Apart from the first day we've had one egg a day
big_smile.png
I think it's Nugget who's been laying, as her backside is saggier than the other three's, but that doesn't help explain the two eggs on the first day... Is it possible that she laid two? We were thinking that either she did lay two the first day and one since, or two started and have been alternating? I think it's just one laying, but like I said, not sure how there were two on the first day... Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom