FIRST EVER GARLIC HARVEST!

Stepnout

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Well even though the tips of my garlic leaves yellowed earlier in the season I’m very happy with the bar so far. Some of you may remember I planted over 100 cloves of the hard neck porcelain MUSIC variety. We have had a miserable summer started with very hot and dry then cold and dry then over 9 inches of rain in about 5 weeks, just cold foggy and miserable. I lost over 300 onion plants and most of my corn so I just filled all that under. My remaining garden has a 3 foot slope in 125’ so it pretty good. The garlic is at the top. Here is a picture of less than half the crop I pulled tonight. I’ll harvest the rest Tuesday I don’t want it to rot. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 2EAB5C99-EA61-45AD-82FF-A7A04767C7FD.jpeg
    2EAB5C99-EA61-45AD-82FF-A7A04767C7FD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Congrats on your garlic; it looks great! The weather this year has been so crazy that I'm grateful when anything lives long enough to harvest.

My tomatoes are ripening but haven't had enough time to get full sized, so my Mortgage Lifters look more like red golf balls; my Reliance peaches should be ready to pick in mid-August, but have already ripened and are gone for this year. Even my zucchini isn't growing!

On the other hand, my aronia berries have never looked better.

Congrats on your garlic; it looks great! The weather this year has been so crazy that I'm grateful when anything lives long enough to harvest.

My tomatoes are ripening but haven't had enough time to get full sized, so my Mortgage Lifters look more like red golf balls; my Reliance peaches should be ready to pick in mid-August, but have already ripened and are gone for this year. Even my zucchini isn't growing!

On the other hand, my aronia berries have never looked better.
Sorry to hear about the bad weather, a crazy year indeed. I am from eastern Canada, I have friends in N/W Iowa, been pheasant hunting there 5 times beautiful place. I hope the corn harvest goes well.
Cheers

Congratulations! What type did you plant?
:lol: no idea. I was given a bunch of delicious organic garlic from a friend, and I had also purchased some from an annual Garlic Festival where I had come across a variety of garlic that has been grown/developed for the climate here in Nova Scotia. Since I liked the taste of both varieties (and both grown here) I just took some of the best cloves and stuck them in the ground. I do have the names written down somewhere, but Im not too concerned as I was just having fun with it. I left the scapes on so I have bulbils and I'll be tackling the many year endeavor of growing a variety that will be somewhat custom to my farm. Plus, hundreds and hundreds of lil bulbils = hundreds and hundreds of heads of cloves... in many years hahahahaha. The exponential growth, even if it takes years and patience will be so worth it for me.

Back
Top Bottom