1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First ever hatch - Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by donnavee, Apr 17, 2011.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    This is the first time we have ever hatched any eggs so we are so delighted to have 7 little fuzzy ducklings that hatched on Tuesday. We removed them from the bator on Thursday and they are all doing great. I can't believe how tiny they are, but they are growing fast. One even managed to escape the brooder this morning. There are 5 Calls, 2 BEIs and 1 Call/Australian Spotted mix.

And they may be small, but they can still poop up the place in no time.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    [​IMG] Congratulations!! They are beautiful!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thats awesome!!! you must share where you got the eggs from [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Aw, look at your box of baby poopers...I mean ducklings. I have 4 in the brooder right now and I understand the unbelievable poop surplus you're talking about.
    How can something SOOOOOO small and cute that doesn't eat that much create that kind of mess? It's one of life's mysteries. [​IMG]
    Your babies are precious! Congrats.

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:The eggs came from our ducks who never lay in the nests that DH built for them. Hollow trees and depressions in the ground seem to be much more attractive laying places. [​IMG] We got the parents from a local breeder in Chapel Hill that we found on Craigs List last year. I really just set the eggs because I had been given an incubator and I wanted to give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by