First experience with a broody

OlivesMama

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Oregon
I have a 5 month old Wyandotte that's decided she want to sit on her egg she lays daily. She lays the egg, then hangs out in the nesting box until I go out and remove her. She shrieks, squawks, and pecks when I pick her up, then just goes about her business as soon as I've put her back in the run. We've done this for the past 4 days now. At least she's not trying to go back to the nesting boxes after I kick her out. Will she break this pattern herself if I'm not allowing her to sit? I'd like some advice on how to deal with this!

I have a 5 month old Wyandotte that's decided she want to sit on her egg she lays daily. She lays the egg, then hangs out in the nesting box until I go out and remove her. She shrieks, squawks, and pecks when I pick her up, then just goes about her business as soon as I've put her back in the run. We've done this for the past 4 days now. At least she's not trying to go back to the nesting boxes after I kick her out. Will she break this pattern herself if I'm not allowing her to sit? I'd like some advice on how to deal with this!

If you keep removing her, yes she will quit being broody, sometimes they jump out of it pretty quick, sometimes they are determined and it can take a while, but if you dont want her to brood then your doing it right.

When i tried to break my broody many many moons ago she would head right back after my back was turned, she stayed that way for almost two months..
Type "Breaking broody hen" into the search , there are some great threads devoted to this.

Back
Top Bottom