First flock, first egg laying behaviors.

chrissy528

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
Update: we have landing! Fawna laid her first egg!!! My first egg on my first flock! Such exciting times! And she’s an over achiever too.. shell is strong!
IMG_8782.jpeg

My girl Fawna keeps walking around and looking for a dark place almost like she’s in distress. She’s pacing and talking almost like in a distressed tone. I’ve been thinking she’d be the first to lay based on her comb and rattle coloring. She is an ISA brown too. I keep taking her to the coop and calmly petting and telling her it’s normal what she’s feeling and she just needs to relax in the coop. However, Monday is 16 weeks which is about 2 weeks early for egg laying. This is the week I’m bringing out the oyster shells. Am I right thinking this is entry to egg laying behavior? I’m also seeing her but fluff pulseate if that makes sense. All I think of when I see her is like when we can’t make it to the bathroom quick enough. I’d imagine that may be the pressure building by the vent? I got them egg training eggs and she’s also been trying to move them around and notice them. Looking for thoughts and advice. Anything I can do to help her? She’s in the coop banging around right now.

Last edited:
My girl Fawna keeps walking around and looking for a dark place almost like she’s in distress. She’s pacing and talking almost like in a distressed tone. I’ve been thinking she’d be the first to lay based on her comb and rattle coloring. She is an ISA brown too. I keep taking her to the coop and calmly petting and telling her it’s normal what she’s feeling and she just needs to relax in the coop. However, Monday is 16 weeks which is about 2 weeks early for egg laying. This is the week I’m bringing out the oyster shells. Am I right thinking this is entry to egg laying behavior? I’m also seeing her but fluff pulseate if that makes sense. All I think of when I see her is like when we can’t make it to the bathroom quick enough. I’d imagine that may be the pressure building by the vent? I got them egg training eggs and she’s also been trying to move them around and notice them. Looking for thoughts and advice. Anything I can do to help her? She’s in the coop banging around right now.
Nothing you can do. Some chickens show distress or excitement before laying. She will probable stop this once she starts laying every day. Don't be surprised if the others join in with her. My Marans are the worse. They sing before, during and after when they lay. Plus all 3 join in. Lol

Monday is 16 weeks which is about 2 weeks early for egg laying.
Not only can chickens not count, they can't read. They don't know that they are supposed to lay at 18 weeks. It is early but I've had a few pullets start laying at 16 weeks. ISA Browns are known to be a bit early compared to certain other chickens but they also may not start laying for several more weeks. Each chicken is an individual.

Am I right thinking this is entry to egg laying behavior?
It could be. Some pullets look for a safe place to lay starting about a week or so before the first egg comes. It's good that she is considering your nests. Not all pullets do that, some don't seem to know that they will be laying soon and may drop the first eggs anywhere, either while on the roost at night or just walking around. Usually even these seem to get this under control within a few days. Her messing in the nests is probably a good sign she may be laying fairly soon and that her first egg may be in your nest.

I’d imagine that may be the pressure building by the vent?
Not days before she will start laying. It takes about 25 hours from when the yolk is released to start the egg making process until it is laid. An egg does not get put together in her internal egg making factory and then hang around for days waiting to be laid.

Anything I can do to help her?
Not really. The fake eggs are a good idea and so is having the nests open so she can consider them at this point. Pullets have been going through this for thousands of years without human help. You've done your part, now it is up to her.

I understand the frustration, impatience, and worry. We've all been through this type of thing, waiting for that first egg. I once waited nine months for a certain three pullets to lay their first egg. The breeder I got them from said they should have been laying well before six months age. Neither of us could figure out what was going on. I anticipate you will not have that problem. Good luck!

Nothing you can do. Some chickens show distress or excitement before laying. She will probable stop this once she starts laying every day. Don't be surprised if the others join in with her. My Marans are the worse. They sing before, during and after when they lay. Plus all 3 join in. Lol
Thank you!! I have heard of the singing and egg song but never distressed that’s why I got worried. She went straight for a nap after and a dust bath. She didn’t do the egg song though after. Maybe now that she knows what’s happening she’ll do the gg song? Do some not do egg songs?

Not only can chickens not count, they can't read. They don't know that they are supposed to lay at 18 weeks. It is early but I've had a few pullets start laying at 16 weeks. ISA Browns are known to be a bit early compared to certain other chickens but they also may not start laying for several more weeks. Each chicken is an individual.

It could be. Some pullets look for a safe place to lay starting about a week or so before the first egg comes. It's good that she is considering your nests. Not all pullets do that, some don't seem to know that they will be laying soon and may drop the first eggs anywhere, either while on the roost at night or just walking around. Usually even these seem to get this under control within a few days. Her messing in the nests is probably a good sign she may be laying fairly soon and that her first egg may be in your nest.

Not days before she will start laying. It takes about 25 hours from when the yolk is released to start the egg making process until it is laid. An egg does not get put together in her internal egg making factory and then hang around for days waiting to be laid.

Not really. The fake eggs are a good idea and so is having the nests open so she can consider them at this point. Pullets have been going through this for thousands of years without human help. You've done your part, now it is up to her.

I understand the frustration, impatience, and worry. We've all been through this type of thing, waiting for that first egg. I once waited nine months for a certain three pullets to lay their first egg. The breeder I got them from said they should have been laying well before six months age. Neither of us could figure out what was going on. I anticipate you will not have that problem. Good luck!
Thank you SO much for all your responses!! I feel better but you also taught me a few things and I greatly appreciate it. She did end up laying her first egg! It’s a healthy good egg with a nice hard shell too.

Thank you!! I have heard of the singing and egg song but never distressed that’s why I got worried. She went straight for a nap after and a dust bath. She didn’t do the egg song though after. Maybe now that she knows what’s happening she’ll do the gg song? Do some not do egg songs?
Yes I have some very quiet ones and some very noisy ones. Lol

Thank you SO much for all your responses!! I feel better but you also taught me a few things and I greatly appreciate it. She did end up laying her first egg! It’s a healthy good egg with a nice hard shell too.
Can I see a photo of the hen who laid? I have ISA Brown at 13 weeks. I want to see how mature yours looks. Thanks.

As the others have told you, and as you found out yourself, not much you can do, and quite frankly not much you should do "pullets have been going through this for thousands of years without human help, you've done your part and now it's up to her" is my new favorite quote. Just to prove how much of an individual thing laying the first egg is, I've been keeping ISA brown in my flock for 11 years, none of mine ever lay before 6 months. Good luck with your new laying birds!

Can I see a photo of the hen who laid? I have ISA Brown at 13 weeks. I want to see how mature yours looks. Thanks.
I actually have two.. Fawna looks more mature in her comb and wattles. She’s the one who laid. Flora is same age but you can tell not as close to laying by the size and color of her wattles and comb. Full body pic is Fawna. Side eye attitude is my girl Flora. Both are 16 weeks on Monday. I’d say Flora will be laying in a week or two… look at Flora’s comb… she how the red is creeping up but there a little yellow still. She’s getting closer to laying.

Attachments

• E8127C25-5598-4770-953B-4196FF5EED61.jpeg
    E8127C25-5598-4770-953B-4196FF5EED61.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 104
  • F48CB79F-1593-4EF9-9173-7ECDDB2B6D2E.jpeg
    F48CB79F-1593-4EF9-9173-7ECDDB2B6D2E.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 102

Back
Top Bottom