First Flock Journal Thread

reendersarens

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Houghton, MI
Thought I'd start a flock journal thread to keep our progress on our first flock, coop and run.

We purchased a house in 2013 on 12.5 acres that already had a chicken coop, meat chicken house, pig pen, goat house, and an outdoor chick brooder. All the fencing was taken down though.

After being here a couple years we decided to start with chickens. The coop is 10x15 We plan on making some modifications to the inside including insulation, finish the plywood indoor walls, hang new roosts, add two nesting boxes with egg doors. Theres no fenced in run, just some T posts.

First I removed the T posts and measured out a run area and marked where I wanted to place new posts. The run area comes to about 620sq feet. I want to give them plenty of room, and have enough space to add more chickens in the future. We dug 15 holes and added about half the wood posts so far.

We've ordered 8 chickens that will be delivered May 12th - 3 Black Australorp, 3 Buff Orpington, and 2 Araucana.

Made a lot of progress in the last couple weeks. With three young children we get an hour or so in the evening to work on it. and an hour in the afternoon on the weekends IF they decide to nap at the same time :) we're slowly getting there.

I added horizontal posts between the vertical posts to add support.

I added a 3 ft chicken wire fence at the base of the poles. Two foot laying on the ground and about a foot bent 90 degrees up the pole.

Then we added 100' of 6ft 2inch x 4inch welded wire fence. We came up about 6 feet short on the back so we had to pick up 25' of 3ft 2inch x 4inch welded wire fence. We just cut two 6 ft sections and stapled them the opposite way as the 100'. We didn't want to have to buy another 100' of fencing. It worked out.

Then I secured the chicken wire to the welded wire fence with zip ties.

Plan for next is to add a 3' tall chicken wire fence against the welded wire fence on the inside with fence staples and nails. We are also finishing the door with welded wire fence and 2x4s. Then add 2x4s on the ground between the poles. To help secure the bottom of the fence.

THEN on to the inside. Insulation, plywood, poop shelf, roosts, nest boxes, white paint, and egg door.

Our chicks arrive tomorrow!

Chicks are doing well. Replaced the band-aid holding the one chicks legs together for spraddle. Seemed a little better last night, maybe. The feed store gave us two white leghorns, which is all they had. For some reason they seem to have some blue dye on their heads? I don't think poo is blue. We finished the door to the run, no photos yet. And yesterday we picked up some supplies for the inside from Menards. Bunch of plywood, 2x4s and batt insulation.

Still need to pick up paint for the inside. I'm thinking a couple layers of kills 2 latex and a layer or two of glossy exterior latex (all on the inside). And probably some sand for the run.

My father in law did some work on the coop yesterday afternoon. There was 4 foot plywood boards around the 6 ft walls. He took those down and got the nearly all the sides and ceiling insulated. Had to pick up some more bats for the gables. I think we are going to add a vent on one gable to help with ventilation. That way air can come in the window and out the vent. Also have to add some 2x4s to the gables to add distance for the insulation.

Door. Still need to add lock

Meet Scar

Very lucky to have such a good starting frame. The blue on the two chicks is most likely a dye marking from the hatchery. I had the hatchery mark mine so I could tell the breeds apart, they used a colored dot of dye on their heads. The dots come off when the feathers come in, so some of mine still have them since that breed has been slow to feather (hatched Mar 25th). I would suggest putting hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for the inside wire you plan on putting up. It is a little stronger, plus the holes are smaller so a raccoon can't reach through.

Have fun with the chicks, they will soon be past the cute stage.

anyone have suggestions for best material or combination of materials for the ground in the run? I'm sure the grass/hay that usually grows there will soon be turned to dirt. Obviously a large area so cost is a big factor. Some sand some bark?

anyone have suggestions for best material or combination of materials for the ground in the run?  I'm sure the grass/hay that usually grows there will soon be turned to dirt. Obviously a large area so cost is a big factor. Some sand some bark?  
I think in a area that big i would throw all my grass clippings, leaves and any of my neighbors clippings also provided no fertilizer was used on the grass.

Back
Top Bottom