First flock on my own

Wonderling

Songster
Mar 25, 2018
Oregon
Hello,
I had some chickens at the end of high school and they ended up staying at my parent's farm when I moved out, after a couple years my family rehomed them all for me since the 3 adult chickens I started with had grown into basically three separate flocks totaling almost 35 chickens after we had put some 19 free regular sized eggs from the neighbor under our broody Bantam hen and then she hatched a couple nests with the barred rooster she hatched from one of those eggs. Eventually, they all ended up with new homes and that was years ago now.

Fast forward to today, it's the day before my birthday and I'm going to get some chicks as a birthday gift to myself and in the process likely taking on a little more effort than necessary. There is a chick with a broken foot (Edit: Slipped Achilles Tendon) that I will be attempting to save, I'll be posting in the forums with a thread regarding that shortly but decided I might introduce myself first.

My other pets consist of a female black standard poodle named Tesla (after the inventor) and 3 katahdin lambs (two fixed boys and a girl), no accident on the pet title there, my lambs were bottle babies who grew up with the dog and still don't understand why the dog gets to go in the house when they have to live in the barn. They are well mannered and are wonderful blackberry control plus lawn mowers but they are absolutely pets. I have just accepted that I have 4 dogs, and three of them happen to be sheep. They'll likely be very curious when they get to see chickens for the first time.

I have an acre and a quarter in Oregon. Though I planned to have a hobby farm someday, the little one I have now started quite on accident. Anyway, if you haven't noticed I'm quite a talker so please feel free to ask any questions or pop in here to say hello.

--------------------
Edit: I'll likely get some barred rocks, buff orpingtons and not sure what else.
Planning to have about 2 of each for a total of around 6 chickens.

Last edited:
G'Day from down under Wonderling :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links:

Back
Top Bottom