First Flock: To Roo or not to Roo

kfcarroll

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 4, 2012
Greetings. My husband and I are ready to start our small flock. We'd like to start with young chickens, not chicks. Our dilemma: I want to get a rooster and a few hens. My darling man says we should skip the rooster for now. Does anyone have any recommendations either way? Thanks!

Unless you want to breed I say no rooster. Some may tell you that a rooster keeps the flock in line and protects them from predators, but I have 21 hens and no rooster and mine do just fine, and are happy. Just make sure that your coop/pen is predator proof.
love.gif

Yes, the reason that I don't like them is the noise!!!
he.gif

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on how you'll manage a rooster. Do you have experience with other animals? Are you a dominate type person who doesn't mind making an animal obey you? If you have a dog, does it do what you say? If you have kids, do they do what you say?

I ask these cause lots of folks get roosters and have no idea how to manage them. They're not pets, they're intact male livestock and should be accorded the same respect you'd give a buck goat or a bull. Granted, they're not as big so can't do as much damage, but they can still tear the crap out of your legs. Or eyes out of children.

If you're naturally a dominant personality and have experience with animals, I say go for it. If you're wanting more pets, or have a hard time getting animals or kids to obey you, I'd say skip the roo. You can always add one later, but it's hard to get rid of one you're attached to. Well, until he floggs your child. Then it's easy to do one in lol.

Last edited:
Thanks! The general sentiment seems to be that hens are happier without romeos around, so maybe that's the way to go, especially at firt.

That's an excellent point. I hadn't thought of how I'd handle a rooster. My husband is the dominent of us, but it makes sense that I shouldn't try to test myself wtih a real potential problem the first time out. Thanks.

I don't own any. I saw no reason too unless i wanted to breed(which I do NOT) all that said, i do have drakes but for the chickens i saw no reason too, my girls have been raised together since they were brought here as a couple day old's .. they get on wonderfully, they don't need a Rooster and i sure as heck don't need the noise( i am rural, so i could but hearing others throughout the valley over the years led me to think if it's that loud that far away imagine on my land! )

We ended up with roosters in our "sexed" flock. It has been really nice having them around. So far. We let a broody hen hatch out some eggs from our own flock, which was an awesome experience. The roosters really do "work," they do a lot to help the flock, more ways than I ever thought they would. We like the crowing. The roosters are very attractive. They were all raised together, so the 5 roosters we have for our flock of 60 get along quite well. But our flock is also very young, and from what I have read roosters get more aggressive as they get older ... and introducing new roosters to the general population has proven to be impossible. So we shall see how this goes. We are staying flexible.

Back
Top Bottom