First flock

frankiededos

In the Brooder
May 30, 2016
My lady and I just started our first flock. 2 Leghorns, 2 Araucanas, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte. Weather permitting today was their first time outside.

Congratulations on getting your own flock.

And
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you have joined us.

You should post an intro under the New Members forum to get a proper welcoming.

i put my chickens in a pen with food and water right after i got them home from the pet store (not day one chicks)

soon they will be able to jump out of the 1.5 ft pen and start to forage around the yard.. but still know to jump back into the pen for food and water :)

since they are used to the outside right of the bat..the transition to the coop/run didn't take long either..

once they know to go in and out on their own.. it will be easier for you.

I have a chain link kennel that I reinforced with chicken wire along the bottom and a stronger wire fence across the top to enclose it completely. I have been letting them out when the weather permits. I threw them some tomato pieces today but they didn't seem to interested. Then I threw a hard boiled egg and it was on!!! Lol. They are growing very fast. They have they're flight feathers coming in and tails starting to show.
We thought we got all hens but we are starting to think that one of the Leghorns might be a cock. Gonna wait a little more before I post a pic asking for opinions.
I was wondering when it would be safe to let them have cracked corn and freeze dried meal worm and the proper steps to take in introducing such foods. They are about 2 to 3 weeks old. Thanks for the help.

So our little birds have been growing. The coop is done besides a few random odds and ends.
They spent their first night outside last night and all survived. Lol.
I added a water bucket to our setup with two water nipples and another water bottle that hangs in the coop. I was worried about them not figuring it out but I went in and called them over and showed them the water. Didn't see them use them at all yesterday for the few hours that I removed the regular water bowl for. So I put the bowl back in over night so they had water access. Got up early today and pulled it once again, when I came out a couple hours later they were all gathered around drinking water from the nipple!!! (No worries I fully washed and disinfected then sun dried the bucket and bottle before use.)
Other than that they seem to be doing great. They feed out of our hands and come when called. We let them out to free range for a bit with strict supervision for a while every day for forage and excersice.
As for food they are still on the starter grow and they forage, grit is offered every day, plus treats of meal worms, boiled eggs (their #1 pick), tomatoes, strawberrys, cracked corn, and other little odds and ends.
Well that's it for now. If anyone has any advice please feel free to leave a comment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom