First flock???

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by fowler_chick, Aug 9, 2009.

1. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    ok so i was board tonight, kids asleep, husband at work.....when it came upond me!! we are either farmers or urban farmers on this site.....because of either getting in to it just for fun or because of the ecconmany!!

I don't think that the white house has had any form of live stock since caroline kennedy rode her pony up the steps of the white house!!.

wouldn't be fun to encourage the Obama's to start a First Flock, Mrs Obama broke ground for a 1,100 sq ft veggie garden in the spring....if she can do that why not raise FIRST CHICKENS!!!

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    The new national symbol could be a chicken instead of an eagal. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Well, it was almost a turkey to begin with...

4. mamagardener

mamagardener Songster

the first family could get Easter Eggers and use them during the Easter egg hunt (roll?) on the White House lawn.

5. Serrin

Serrin Songster

Instead of a chicken in every pot as Roosevelt wanted, how about a chicken in every back yard!! [​IMG]

Ya know, this isn't as harebrained of an idea as one might think! Urban chickens are a growing trend in this country! (no pun intended) Could you just imagine if every suburban home had, say three or four birds at least. Especially if they were egg layer breeds! We might not be able to put the commercial egg producers out of business, but we could sure put a dent in them!

NOT that I want to put anyone out of business....I just think of the miserable living conditions even so called free range girls have to endure. Seeing the number of birds subjected to that significantly reduced would be worth the grass roots effort right there!

And I really like the thought of a First Flock comprised of EE's! Just think of the taxpayer dollars that could be saved every year by White House staff NOT having to spend time coloring eggs for Easter!! [​IMG]

Good thinking Fowler! That's using the old noodle!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: