Stubborn gleet

Rabedraboh

Hatching
Jun 12, 2022
I have a hen with a stubborn case of Vent Gleet. I first noticed it 6w ago, it was bad really yucky green/white discharge, treated for 3 days inside w just feed, yogurt, and monistat cream on her vent. Seemed better, didn't notice anymore discharge, put her back out, it came back within a week. I did 4 days of treatment, we got a stomach flu and I had to put her back because I was too sick to take care of her. Checked again a week later and it was back, realized that evening that she was egg bound. Put her in Epsom salts bath and she laid TWO eggs in a row, seemed much better. Kept her in the hospital cage inside for 5 full days, cleaned vent daily and applied monistat, again it seemed resolved. Looked this morning and she's gunky again. She's laying and acting normal, I'm tired of having a house chicken, what else can I try? She's 13m old, I have a flock of 7 in an enclosed coop and run of almost 100 sq ft total, they get out to free range an hr or two a day.

Is her vent area red, raw, and missing feathers? Do you have pictures? Hens with frequent diarrhea may have messy vents without gleet, but if she has a fungal, she may require longer treatment and probiotics several days a week. Have you tried giving the Monistat orally twice a day, and treating like a sour crop disorder? Medistatin powder is available online and can be given orally in a little water, and it is a non-prescription version of Nystatin, used for thrush and oral fiungal infections. Probios powder sold in feedstores (also cheaper generic ones) can be used 2-3 days a week in food or water. The Medistatin powder below can be mixed 1/4 tsp in 4 tsp of water, and given 1 tsp daily.
https://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/medistatin.aspx

Back
Top Bottom