First goose egg or jumbo pekin egg

KiyaDt

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
New to geese. I have 2 geese that are 5 months old. They live with my ducks which are Indian runners, rouen, sweedish and jumb pekin. I have been getting eggs lately and everything I have read says geese don't lay until at least 9 to 10 months. Well I have got 2 eggs over the last 2 weeks that are 99.4 grams. Could this be a jumbo pekin egg or is my goose laying early? Any help would be great. Pics attached.

Attachments

• 20230816_081330.jpg
    20230816_081330.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230816_081342.jpg
    20230816_081342.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230816_090510.jpg
    20230816_090510.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230608_150029.jpg
    20230608_150029.jpg
    901.9 KB · Views: 14
:welcome Far more likely an extra large Pekin egg than a goose egg. Pekin for sure if it was a double yolker.
I haven't cracked it open yet. We have had pekins before and I have never seen a egg this large. Pretty awesome if Helga (pekin) is giving us these massive eggs ❤😍 thanks for the response.

If the egg color is tinted which it looks like in the picture I would go with double yolk duck. Most goose eggs are a bright white like a white chicken egg. What breed are your geese smaller breeds can lay in the late summer to fall of there first year... My smaller African productions I had laid in October of there first year.

Goose eggs also tend to have a dryer feel to them than duck which are a wax kinda feel.

If the egg color is tinted which it looks like in the picture I would go with double yolk duck. Most goose eggs are a bright white like a white chicken egg. What breed are your geese smaller breeds can lay in the late summer to fall of there first year... My smaller African productions I had laid in October of there first year.
Thanks. I wondered about the color because it definitely resembles a duck egg but I have never seen a goose egg before. One is Chinese and the other is embden. I believe Chinese is Steven a gander and the embden is Bonnie the goose. Also pictured is cheese the runner who constantly yells at me to stay away from her boyfriend (Steven). I could be wrong on the genders but everything I have researched has led me to believe I am correct. Steven is loud and dramatic, always charging people at the gate , bites hard and stands pretty tall. He is a sweet boy who eats from my hand and never attacks me while I'm in the yard so I figure his hormones are making him rude right now. Bonnie is very gentle, soft spoken and likes to nibble lightly on my clothes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230816_105842_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230816_105842_Gallery.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Goose eggs won’t have the silky coating that duck eggs have, goose eggs tend to have a slightly rough texture.…..That egg is a whopper!
I know, it's the biggest duck egg I have seen over the years of raising ducks. I'm new to geese this year so I figured maybe I had a strange early laying goose. Thanks for the info.

:welcome Far more likely an extra large Pekin egg than a goose egg. Pekin for sure if it was a double yolker.
Also thanks for the welcome. I have always used this site for all of my information but never made a account until today. It's not easy finding information on geese as it is chickens a ducks.

Back
Top Bottom