First guinea egg! Plus a question about hatching...

FunnyfarmMidwest

Call Duck obsessed! 🦆💕
Mar 14, 2020
Yay! At exactly four months old, one of the guineas has laid its first egg! I’m so excited! It’s a lot smaller than I imagined! These are my first guineas ever so I’m learning everything new. I have a question about incubation as well. I have a nurture right 360 incubator and am hoping to incubate some guineas. I’m wondering if the automatic turner will work with the small guinea eggs or if they will need hand turned.
Thanks much,
-Rachel

Attachments

• 36EECF2C-B4F1-49F3-82FE-7B474353AB4E.jpeg
    36EECF2C-B4F1-49F3-82FE-7B474353AB4E.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 74543B13-007E-453B-9EE6-394EA189147E.jpeg
    74543B13-007E-453B-9EE6-394EA189147E.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yes, the first eggs probably won't be fertile, and after they have been laying awhile they will become more consistent.
Good luck with hatching!
Thanks! I’m really excited. I might try incubating this egg just to see if they’ll work with the automatic turning rails. :D

It'll work with a Nuture Right 360.
That's what I use.

There is some variation in egg size, so for smaller ones you might want to put them in the inner ring. The 6 spots there are a bit smaller.

If you want to eat some eggs, bear in mind that the shell of Guinea eggs is much thicker than chicken eggs. A couple taps on the side of a pan isn't going to do it.

It'll work with a Nuture Right 360.
That's what I use.

There is some variation in egg size, so for smaller ones you might want to put them in the inner ring. The 6 spots there are a bit smaller.

If you want to eat some eggs, bear in mind that the shell of Guinea eggs is much thicker than chicken eggs. A couple taps on the side of a pan isn't going to do it.
Thanks very much for the advice. I’m happy to hear that the automatic turner will work. I’m not sure if I’ll eat any guinea eggs. I don’t even eat my duck’s eggs. :lau:oops:

Thanks very much for the advice. I’m happy to hear that the automatic turner will work. I’m not sure if I’ll eat any guinea eggs. I don’t even eat my duck’s eggs. :lau:oops:
Guinea eggs, from free ranging birds, are my absolute favorite! They have such an intense gold yolk! Their eggs fit my hovobator auto turner well.

Guinea eggs, from free ranging birds, are my absolute favorite! They have such an intense gold yolk! Their eggs fit my hovobator auto turner well.
Thanks,
Someday I might be brave enough to eat their eggs. Right now I’m going to stick to hatching, but I have a lot of friends that’d love to try the guinea eggs. I’m looking foreword to hatching some out. I have one more question that you might be able to answer as well. Today there were no guinea eggs. Do they lay everyday? Is this just because they are new layers?
Again thanks much and all the best,
-Rachel

Thanks,
Someday I might be brave enough to eat their eggs. Right now I’m going to stick to hatching, but I have a lot of friends that’d love to try the guinea eggs. I’m looking foreword to hatching some out. I have one more question that you might be able to answer as well. Today there were no guinea eggs. Do they lay everyday? Is this just because they are new layers?
Again thanks much and all the best,
-Rachel
It could be because they are new layers, or it could be that they found a new place to hide them! Guinea eggs are the ultimate game of hide and seek...

Back
Top Bottom