first hatch and a few questions edit--new pic added

Lord_Vulcanizer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
South Alabama
Hi, working on my first hatch and I have a few questions. Perhaps I shoulda asked my questions earlier but I did think I had gathered enough information from this site and some others to do this on my own without asking...

Ok first of all I will give background info on what I have done so far and what has happened and my observations up to this point...

Don't forget my first hatch... so I don't know everything nor do I have extensive, or any experience hatching, for that matter.

All right, after buying a bunch of chicks here and there I decided that it may be more cost effective to hatch some eggs of my own...a heck of a lot more interesting too I thought. So I asked around and just so happened one of the guys I worked with had some chickens at home that were laying eggs so I asked him if I could have some to try and hatch. He said sure stop by and get all you want. So I did. I gathered up 37 eggs from his chicken coop. He said he had no idea as to how old the eggs were when I asked him; he had just found this particular nest. No biggy, they are free and if they don't hatch nothing lost I thought. Well, he offered to let me use an incubator he had purchased a few years back. He never used it nor did he know how to. I didn't either but I did read a lot of BYC so I said sure I will try it. It is a model 1602. Much better than the old thing I gotten earlier...I haven't even turned it on--an old round hova-bator--it may still work who knows. I wanted to use the square one so I could put in a turner. Yea I went to the co-op and bought a turner to use in a borrowed 1602. I work and commute so the turner was needed. Now I have one borrowed bator, one new turner, and 37 old eggs from various mutt chickens.

I put it all together, let it run for a day, then tossed in the eggs. That was a sunday evening, May 3. This leads to my first question.

How do I count the incubation time. Are these things due on the 23, 24 or what? Due time seems to be dependant on how one counts the days.

First observation. I have had to steadily turn down the temp on this bator from about the 5th day on. Actually it was worrysome.

Second observation, a one to two inch difference in elevation inside the bator equated to roughly a four degree temp variance. I did not like this at all.

Third observation. I had to increase the temp after I removed the turner and reset the eggs. I am assuming due to egg elevation change in turner and lack of turner generated heat. Comments?

Question: The wafer thermostat? If it is set then why will it not hold a stable temp? Temp stability by all rights in an insulated and stable outer environment should be solely dependant on the thermostat. If the turner generates heat the thermostat should sense it and shut down the heating element. If the metabolic development of the chicks generate heat as well then the thermostat should compensate by NOT energizing the heating element. This thing does NOT seem to follow physical rules. Anyway, rant off, vigilance seems to be the only answer in this case or a better bator. My own personal purchace in the future will be a genesis. I do have a turner for it now anyways.

Fouth observation. Several times during the incubation period I candled eggs. I did notice that some of the air cells seemed to have a 'lean' to them. Question. Is this normal? or not?

I found two eggs that were completely clear. They did however take flight and managed to land in the woods back behind my house...just because it aint got wings don't mean it can't fly. Dropped me down to 35 eggs. I assume they were infertile from the get go.

Fifth observation. Sometime shortly after nine am this morning as I was still in the bed enjoying the sound of a tropical rainstorm I heard a bird chirping. I looked at my wife and said 'you hear that?' she said 'yea those chicks outside are really loud'. "no that was from inside, I think I hear a baby chick!' says me. So I go and look and sho-nuff I see a bunch of eggs with lil holes and cracks in them. Made me smile actually. I was kinda thinking it would make me happy if just one of those old eggs hatched. I wandered around, stared a bit, and waited patiently. I watched the greasy lil thing fight its way outta that old egg
big_smile.png

Sixth observation. After the first one hatched the humidity went out the top. I can only assume it was a combination of the rain, and the fact maybe as he was drying out it was adding to humidity as well. The starting humidity was around 64%. Last I checked the windows are foggin up with humidity around 90%. More chicks are entering thier new world. Oh yea, early humidity lvls during the turn stage where 35-45 percent. I gained this from BYC so I went with it.

Seventh observation. Ok since 7 is a lucky number everyone can observe
big_smile.png

hatchlings2.jpg

hatchlings1.jpg

Sorry about picture quality. It has to do with condensation on the viewing windows. After I feel like the hatch is complete I will open up and take better pics. For chick safety I will only open it at this point for emergency reasons.

Wow!!! I am happy at this point. I have seventeen baby chicks and more pips and zips. Hopefully all will be well and none of the chicks that have already hatched will perish. I hope they all hatch now even though the odds are against that happening. All in all so far for a first attempt with unknown eggs I feel pretty good about this.

Guess you know I am pretty stoked about all this. After the first two hatched this morning my wife and I went to dinner and a movie to celebrate something else. It never dawned on me when I put the eggs in the bator when all this was gonna happen as I normally dont think of our anniversary 3 weeks in advance. But still kinda cool. I plan to update this tomorrow with more news good or bad and some more pics as I can.

Thanks for reading this and your comments will be surely welcomed. Thanks for all the help from all those folks who wrote all those great posts that I have been reading. I am dedicating my first hatch which I think is a success to all these folks.

I'll be adding to this soon,
Thanks,
Wes

Last edited:
Ok a new observation. Seems a pipped egg don't need to be zipped for the chick to come out. All it needs is 3 or 4 other chicks to be playing kickball with it. Poor lil chick, seems like a hell of a way to be hatched. Then they stood on his head
sad.png
Hope he's gonna be ok. These lil guys seem kinda ruthless in some small way. Maybe I had too many eggs in there? Chicks everywhere, barely any walking room, laying on unhatched eggs and kicking them all around. One was even standing on top of an egg. Is all the moving gonna hurt the unhatched chicks? I was under the impression they were not to be disturbed after day 18 or it would cause problems.

Wes

If it where me I would remove the chicks and put them in a brooder. Some would say leave them alone. But I would be afraid to have harm come to the unhatched chicks. Give them a chance. I have a 20 gal aquarium I use for this in the past. PUt a heating pad under it and cover it with a towel is all I do. Never ost a single chick. Some would say to put them under a heat light.

I have an old bator that I will use this time around. My husband bought me a new bator becaues I had so many problems with the old one. Out of 32 eggs and 3 trys I only got 5 live chicks. Not the odds I was looking for. So when the chicks dry in the old bator that I will have the heat set lower than for incubating anyway, they will go in the brooder. I will have to use both the aquarium and the tub this time because I have quail and chickens and turkeys all in the new bator. I have a plan at least. I just hope that it all works out and I have a good hatch.

good luck I hope your plan works out. I am afraid if I open the bator I will risk the unhatched chicks and am worried that the hatched chicks will hurt the unhatched chicks... I will say that so far the ones that are hatched seem to be doing well. They are playing kickball with eggs anyway...

Thanks,
Wes

All that kicking and kickball is good for them. They don't really have enough mass to do harm, whatever it may look like. The stimulation and sound is good for ones that might be having trouble hatching. More hatch with good numbers of loose chicks, than what happens when the unhatched dry out from too much opening of the bator.

I'm glad they're all coming to the party. You might have some late stragglers because some chickens may have added to the "wad" of eggs late. That's pretty normal.

Best of luck to the remainder! That's a good first go!

Bator temps are dependent on room air stability unless they're very well insulated. So if your house temps are not stable then things get weird.

Also just as they get ready to hatch, chicks in eggs begin producing their own heat - which will mess up your temps. so just expect it.

If you had extreme yoyo temps in stable household temp then your wafer may be bad. While a good one will hold a solid reading a bad one... won't.

If it's new - I'd be contacting the seller. If it's old - you need a new wafer - they're sold separately.

Way to go!

Thanks for the reply walkswithdog.

I think I will tell my friend he needs a new wafer. I wont be hatching with this bator again but in conclusion I can not complain much about it cause I do have chicks. I would definately recommend the Hovabator 1602 to anyone on a budget. And I would recommend the gqf turner as well. I got the 1611.

Ok update. I just made a command decision at 1245pm to remove my chicks from the bator. The humidity was above 90% and one of my electronic thermometors is showing signs of moisture failure right now. Basically I was watching it rain from the viewing windows. The chicks also were not drying out. Out of the 35 eggs that were left I removed 29 chicks. There were 6 eggs left in the bator two of which have already pipped and one was chirping loudly in his little prison. Hopefully the other 6 will hurry up and hatch on out. I just felt at that humidity there was too high of risk of drowning chicks. but 29 of 35 so far that's good to go
woot.gif
woot.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
wee.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
here is a pic of the chicks in a temporary holding facility. At least till they get dried out and the weather outside gets better enough for me to get my brooder going for them. If the weather dont break I'll just put them in the old dog kennel like I did the others. I know they are mutts but they are cute little mutts.

babychicks.jpg

I'm in the same quandry right now. 2 chicks are 23 hours old, 5 are still wet, 4 eggs have pipped (they have their beaks through, but the membrane looks dry). Temp at 98 and humidity holding at 75%. When should I take the dry guys out? Should I put a damp paper towel on the pipped ones? It's a Hova-Bator...if I open it at this stage will the rest of the hatch suffer? I have 12 more eggs yet to pip.

I dont know chickenbike. I was mainly worried due to the large amount of chicks I had in the bator. 29 chicks are consuming lots of oxygen, exhaling lots of humidity, and werent seeming to dry out. I guess the pros are on vacation. I just took a chance. I wouldn't know what to do in your case. I didn't know what to do in mine either. I just acted. Felt like the thing to do. I got 2 pips right now that have gone motionless. My decision on these 2 guys right now is to wait. We shall see I guess.

Wes

Back
Top Bottom