First Hatch from our first Batch of Quail

KatsPlace

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
I started with 40 and when I did the float test, only 5 didn’t develop. Today is day 17 and so far 1 has hatched. Such an exciting experience for the whole family :celebrate

Attachments

• 67D68527-0B87-48EE-A28D-26AA85EDAC65.jpeg
    67D68527-0B87-48EE-A28D-26AA85EDAC65.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 9380B684-B228-45A0-A84B-E16654B59E22.jpeg
    9380B684-B228-45A0-A84B-E16654B59E22.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 8
Congratulations!!! I'm curious? Why did you do a float test?
I did a lot of research before incubating and read that the float test was easier with quail. I tried candling but found it hard to tell. When I placed them into the water 3 sank, 2 flipped upside down and the rest I could see move around in the water (so cool).

I did a lot of research before incubating and read that the float test was easier with quail. I tried candling but found it hard to tell. When I placed them into the water 3 sank, 2 flipped upside down and the rest I could see move around in the water (so cool).
Unfortunately, there's alot of bad advice on the net. Float testing can allow moisture to enter the shell in the air cell. When the chick internally pips, it could drown.
Float testing is out dated, not reliable and shouldn't be done.

:wee:celebrate CONGRATS!!!! Welcome to the world baby quail!

And actually, I looked it up, and float tests seem to be a thing. I have never tried it, so idk if it really works. However, I usually don't like to get the eggs wet, it CAN mess up a hatch. I don't know if floating them is advisable, but I guess we'll know soon!

Congrats again, new quail mom or dad!!!

:wee:celebrate CONGRATS!!!! Welcome to the world baby quail!

And actually, I looked it up, and float tests seem to be a thing. I have never tried it, so idk if it really works. However, I usually don't like to get the eggs wet, it CAN mess up a hatch. I don't know if floating them is advisable, but I guess we'll know soon!

Congrats again, new quail mom or dad!!!
It takes the protective 'bloom' off the shell.

Back
Top Bottom