First hatch! Need HELP!

Mamma Hen Hanna

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
I need some advice on my first incubator experience! Today is day 20. I set 36. I am using a borrowed little giant forced air bator with turners. They were hatching like crazy early this morning and I have 9. One pipped several hours ago but hasn't moved since, and the rest have no action. I just realized that as the chicks that were in there were climbing all over the thermometer/hydrometer wires and sleeping on them it was effecting the reading. When I realized this I stuck my hand in there to get it out from under a chick and it read 106. So basically now I have no idea if my readings have been high or low for the last day. It's been good and consistent the whole time- until they hatched and started messing with it. Is it normal for them to hatch like crazy and then have a major lull? Or would that indicate they’re finished? Since it's only day 20 should I keep waiting or do you think they're ruined? Also, what should I do to not have this problem next time? Any advice is MUCH APPRECIATED!

I need some advice on my first incubator experience! Today is day 20. I set 36. I am using a borrowed little giant forced air bator with turners. They were hatching like crazy early this morning and I have 9. One pipped several hours ago but hasn't moved since, and the rest have no action. I just realized that as the chicks that were in there were climbing all over the thermometer/hydrometer wires and sleeping on them it was effecting the reading. When I realized this I stuck my hand in there to get it out from under a chick and it read 106. So basically now I have no idea if my readings have been high or low for the last day. It's been good and consistent the whole time- until they hatched and started messing with it. Is it normal for them to hatch like crazy and then have a major lull? Or would that indicate they’re finished? Since it's only day 20 should I keep waiting or do you think they're ruined? Also, what should I do to not have this problem next time? Any advice is MUCH APPRECIATED!
Hey, keep waiting until day 24 don't worry I had the same problem last week, also next time you hatch chicks, put the thermometer leaning against the incubator. Best regards!!

I would keep waiting but most are likely done.
Since they hatched like crazy early on day 20, that tells me the temperature was high throughout and probably was actually as high as 101. Ignore what the thermometer says, trust what the chicks are telling you.

:fl:flOk thank y’all for the quick replies! I thought maybe it was running hot since they hatched early, but I did calibrate it with my kitchen thermometer. Maybe it was wrong too! I’m going to try again when this batch is done and I’ll set the temperature a couple degrees lower. The good news is, the 9 chicks I do have are positively thriving! Maybe 25% isn’t too bad to a first try...? (But I’m still going to hold out for a few more) :fl

Definitely wait a few days. I have found that they hatch over the course of two or three days, and some breeds hatch sooner than others. Also, the temperature goes up a bit after the eggs hatch because heat is released, and the chicks body heat. Congrats on your new chicks!

820769C0-567D-4004-B463-57E87839FE6A.jpeg
There’s hope! I just got 2 more pips! I was going to take the “leave the chicks in there” approach, but I’ve been forced to take them out so they don’t keep messing with the wires. Here’s a pic of the new babies! I got a “grab bag” of eggs and it has been so fun to see what comes out! I don’t think I’ve gotten the same breed twice! I may be forming an addiction to this... :love

View attachment 1321651 There’s hope! I just got 2 more pips! I was going to take the “leave the chicks in there” approach, but I’ve been forced to take them out so they don’t keep messing with the wires. Here’s a pic of the new babies! I got a “grab bag” of eggs and it has been so fun to see what comes out! I don’t think I’ve gotten the same breed twice! I may be forming an addiction to this... :love
So cute! :love Do I see a naked neck in there?

DE14652E-B43D-4FCC-8800-33BA250AB507.jpeg
Thank you! 4 more have hatched and 2 are working on it. I have this problem now though... anyone know what’s wrong with this little feller? He seems happy and active, but this looks awful.

Back
Top Bottom