First hatch-one chick having trouble- advice needed

ajablu

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Northeast, PA
I had my first hatch ever, but had some problems with unstable temps in the still air LG.
The chicks were a little late, day 23.
I got 6 of 12 to hatch but the last chick has some yolk on him still and he also bled while zipping. There would be a bit every time he pipped and zipped. Can he survive and is there anything I can do for him? Its seems in spite of being at day 23 he was not quite ready. I am thinking it could have been from the couple times the temps went up and down.
Anyone who has had experience with a chick still having some yolk on it please let me know the outcome and if anything should be done.
There is also one egg that pipped but didn't go any further. Its been about 12 hours and nothing. I think it quit. How long do you wait when this happens?
Thanks!

BE PATIENT!!!
We hatch from our LG all the time and they are notoriously late. We have had them pip and then go as long as 48 hours before zipping. Watch the pip hole and see if you see movement. As for the yolk, we have had them hatch with yolk still attached and their body will obsorb it within about 12 hours. Watch that the other chicks do not peck at it. As for loss of blood, some will bleed a bit at hatch. We have had them bleed pretty heavily and still live. Any that seem to have problems such as these we try to keep seperated by putting them in a shallow plastic bowl inside the brooder/hatcher until they overcome the problem.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. He is doing better today, but I noticed his foot curls inward.
I am watching to see how he does with that.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom