first hatch-some questions

ajablu

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Northeast, PA
I bought a dozen shipped eggs for my first try at hatching. I used a still air LG with the turner.
Out of the dozen eggs two were found to have bloodrings at day 18 and were tossed. The other 10 had full size chicks . 6 of them hatched on day 23. Five were fine and number 6 had a rough naval and a bit of yolk still there. He is better now, but we found he has a foot that curls inward and he walks on the bent part of his leg. He is now eating and drinking but I don't think the foot will get better, The other 4 eggs didn't hatch and we just broke them open.
They had full size chicks but I noticed dry membranes that were hard to break. It is my first hatch. Temps in the LG ran at 99 to 100 days 1-18. There were a few spikes to 102 then back down. Humidity was around 38 to 40%.
Day 18 I removed the turner and added a wet washcloth that brought the humidity to 65-68%
Any ideas on what I should have done that may have helped the other 4 to hatch and maybe prevented the problems with number 6?
Any advice would be appreciated.

60% on shipped eggs is good.

I only got 12 chicks from 41 eggs.

I would use tape to correctly position the foot on #6. I had one hatch out with spradle leg and a band aid placed between the legs for 10 days was all that was needed. Now he is running around normally like the other 11.

Thank you. We are going to try to see if we can tape the foot in the correct position . I was pretty amazed that these eggs could travel from Texas to Pa and 10 of them grew chicks. It was my first hatch and it was awesome to see them pip and zip. I just wish the other 4 could have made it to hatch . I wonder what caused them to die when they were so close? I got 3 Salmon Faverolles, 2 Ameraucana's, and 1 golden Cuckoo Marans. They are beautiful babies!

Back
Top Bottom